Equifax's CEO isn't sure whether they've finally started encrypting their servers yet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/11/this-is-fine-3.html

3 Likes

This is a solved problem. All they need to do is implement it!
Assuming they’re using a relational database to store the critical details of folks’ lives.

Also here’s what ‘rot26’ cipher looks like:

$ echo “my private data” | caesar 26
my private data

2 Likes

rot13 is more secure

3 Likes

Well now, let’s be fair. Honestly, I don’t know either.

3 Likes

Since the CEO is only accountable to the shareholders, apparently they don’t care, either. If being excluded from their DB is a shareholder perk I should look into whether I have them in my portfolio.

2 Likes

If you want the best security you can just apply rot13 twice

9 Likes

Yea, it’s always hilarious when top corporate executives can’t even explain DES in detail. That’s why they earn so much less than programmers.

2 Likes

It reminds me of the running joke in the film “Margin Call”: the higher up we go in the org chart of the Lehman-like firm the less anyone understands about the derivative instruments that are about to bring the firm and the entire economy crashing down.

4 Likes

Equifax’s nation-destroying data-breach was subsequently revealed to be just the latest in a series of unbelievably careless IT blunders,

Edit: unbelievably completely believable careless IT blunders.

I suspect the writer has not worked in IT.

3 Likes

MOST SECURE:

$ echo "my private data" > /dev/null
2 Likes

Wasnt really derivatives. Was just taking too much risk with not enough capital. But if you knew any Lehman’s execs, a scummier bunch was hard to find.

Shareholders should be upset they are giving the milk away for free.

1 Like

The fact that these questions were asked of a CEO instead of a CIO tells me all I need to know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.