Étienne Trouvelot's 19th century astronomical drawings compared to NASA photos

Originally published at: Étienne Trouvelot's 19th century astronomical drawings compared to NASA photos | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I think I’ve seen this person’s work before somewhere…

4 Likes

The author of the piece seems to have a poor understanding of what was shown in the NASA pictures, and seemed unnecessarily harsh on the picture of a solar eclipse (sure looked like an active solar Corona to me).

If this was just a personal blog I’d let it slide, but this is for the NYPL. Surely there was an astronomy book they could have picked up, somewhere?

3 Likes

The author admits to being no astronomer, and indeed it is so. She has a degree in creative writing, and a brief check at NYPL shows that she writes about all sorts of topics. So I guess her magic 8 ball came up with ‘astronomy’ that week.

2 Likes

I love these! If I ever get around to turning my ancient space-opera (written as a series of GEnie posts so long ago) into video, I will use these planet illustrations (or ones in the same style) in the special effects.

I mean, actual Mars looks cool, but this Mars is amazing

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.