Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs Hearing Protection Earplugs

Here’s the ones I am talking about.

I’ve got a very similar pare that came with a Vater drum stick bag. Likely just re-branded. I wear them to concerts all the time. Followed the link you sent to Amazon and saw this:

12 new 1 used from $9.99

Used earplugs? gag!

1 Like

I fly and use CEPs in my helmet or headset, that way I get radio/intercom through along with amazing noise attenuation which I prefer over electronic noise attenuation with an ANR circuit which will fail when the battery dies. This is a nice study on the topic: http://hfs.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/10/22/0018720812461013.full
(edit)
The CEP consists of a small sound transducer coupled to an expandable, through-ported foam earplug that is worn in combination with the standard flight helmet.

adding a short intro from the US Army on CEPs, mine are Navy style with separate jack and earpiece for both sides, that adds reliability.
http://www.usaarl.army.mil/usaarl/files/brochures/CEP_Final.pdf

1 Like

I find foam earplugs better on a bike, but ER20s work well at concerts as they sound a bit less muffled. I also use Etymotic earphones (+ipod) on the bike when commuting into town and generally staying under 70mph. The outside and wind noise sound reduction is almost as good The downside of the ER20s though is they can be a bit uncomfortable. I ended up going for the small size.

The other cheap option to look for is soft rubber earplugs designed for swimming. Same shape plug as the ER20 but softer rubber.

Earlove uses genuine ER20 earplugs and has helped saved thousands of music lovers ears since 2004. Hearing loss has reached epidemic proportions. Now more younger people than older people have hearing loss. New research shows that Temporary Threshold Shift (muffled sounds and ringing in the ears) after concerts and other loud sound over 85 dB is NOT temporary. Even though your hearing returns to normal, the nerves beyond the hair cells swell and die over time so the signals can not reach the brain. This hearing loss goes unnoticed, people continue the cycle of overexposure when they should be preserving what they have left. Noise induced hearing loss is completely preventable. Learn more at Earlove.net

1 Like

I always use the foam plugs when I ride. I actually prefer the 30db or higher ones and can not ride without them.

They increase my awareness so much as I am not having mild sensory overload when riding along at any speed over 40. Even lower speeds with the sound of the tailpipe is kind of loud. And I have a sport bike with normal pipes, not a roaring straight pipe Harley either.

Without the plugs I get mildly hypnotized or dulled by the constant noise so I find myself kind of missing things I would normally notice. I still hear plenty of sounds around me as I am more focused so more prone to notice changes in traffic noise.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.