These earplugs present a cooler way to protect your hearing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/04/these-earplugs-present-a-coole.html

1 Like

Or only go to shows that humans are actually capable of listening to.

5 Likes

2fa7e0

5 Likes

MOVIE THEATERS!!! You know you’re not the demographic the sound guy is catering to when you have to wear your OSHA Rated for Power Tools earplugs just to watch a dumb kids’ movie.

7 Likes

Not just kids movies. I had that same problem watching “Cave of Forgotten Dreams” at the IFC Center.

3 Likes

I wonder how these compare to Etymotics? I’ve always considered them the gold standard:

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20.html

Radically improved my concert experience when I started wearing them.

6 Likes

I’ve never tried Etymotics but they look pretty good. I use Alpine MotoSafe because they’re specifically designed for motorcycling and legal to wear while driving in California: Cal Veh § 27400 (d); they mostly eliminate wind noise (and pressure buffeting), and I can still hear normal conversation and vehicles around me, which is nice, but they’re not designed for audio quality of speach/music, so those sound slightly weird. I think those Etymotics would be legal and safe to drive with as well and probably have better sound/tone quality.

3 Likes

Or, for the same price, you can have 50 pairs:

No ones looking at your ears at a concert, and if they can see your “uncool” earplugs, you havent put them in correctly.

2 Likes

Oh, balls to that. Yeah, I used to buy disposable beige foam earplugs to avoid looking conspicuous. I switched to neon pink ones for concerts though because I feel attendees need to be visually reminded that YES, THIS MUSIC IS REALLY LOUD AND YOU SHOULD BE PROTECTING YOUR HEARING IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ENJOYING IT.

Wearing colorful earplugs isn’t a passive statement if you have extra pairs. People notice them. The first time I wore mine, a few people asked if I had a pair to spare. Now I bring a few pairs with me to every concert.

15 Likes

thank you so very much… jesus fucking christ the description of the bbstore has reached the state of ineffable

1 Like

thank you… i even have to do this at the firing range.

people are simply stupid when it comes to their ears.

even wadded up napkin will help

2 Likes

one of my favorite tricks to do to someone at a show that’s yelling at me is to reach my hand over and close off their ear and then i talk to them at a near-normal level.

the amount of shock never changes

4 Likes

I live on the east side of Brooklyn’s prospect park. I can clearly hear Bric Arts summer shows at the bandshell on the west side bomping away. I can’t imagine living on one of the apartments right there (well, mostly because I couldn’t dream of affording one…) Why music has to be so loud that people need earplugs I’ll never understand. I love listening to music that would be played loud if live, but I only ever go to Folk concerts.

2 Likes

I wear earplugs on stage while playing in the band so I can actually hear myself. Even without amplification, brass band is hella loud.

7 Likes

By “unique low profile design”, do they mean “human ear canal size without much sticking out”? $20? I’m surprised they don’t use the old Ronco “we’ll even throw in an extra pair and this stylish carrying case” line. Oh wait, “aluminum case” …

1 Like

Sleek aluminium case!
But wait - not “aircraft grade” or “tactical”?
Disappointing.

3 Likes

I used to used those foam plugs, they’re ok, but they irritate and need to be binned after a couple of wears, so I swapped to triple flange silicon ones that last forever. I do use some very much like these on offer, which are better still, because the music isn’t blocked out so much, only the damaging frequencies. It’s not just heavy rock that can be loud enough to cause issues, either.

3 Likes

Im a fairly regular user of the traditional (rubber-type) plugs for travel. I can’t speak to the irritation you experience, but as for having to throw them away, I just wash them in light soap and water. Then put them in a wad of paper towels and squeeze to get the water out. Brand new earplugs. I dont think Ive ever “worn out”, or had to throw away, a pair. I just lose them. Which is why I’d never pay $20 for a pair.

1 Like

Back when I was young and in a band (but not cool) I would use toilet paper if I forgot my earplugs. Works at a venue too as there’s usually a toilet there. But, if you stick it too far into your ear canal someone might have to pick it out with a sharp instrument for you. That’s not so fun.

3 Likes

I also wash my foam earplugs but I find my ear canals do get sore after a few consecutive uses, and the earplugs are less able to squeeze really small after a few washes. You might have some good ones.

2 Likes