These hi-fi earplugs cut the sound but keep sound quality

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/24/these-hi-fi-earplugs-cut-the-s.html

On a whim I took my new Vibes earplugs to a wedding. The music was so loud I put them in and was very glad I had them.

The music was so loud I could feel it in the pit of my stomach. The Vibes made the volume tolerable.

However I lost the carrying case.

They don’t sell it on the website. I contacted Vibe by email and they refuse to sell me another.

The earplugs are tiny, the case is about the1/3 the size of my thumb. Since the Vibes are meant to be taken to concerts, losing the case seems likely.

They should sell a replacement case.

Great product, lousy customer service.

3 Likes

We can close our eyes, why can’t we close our ears?

For you youngsters out there - please consider wearing ear protection.
I went to my first show in 1980 and have been to probably 900 since then - and never wore protection.
I’ve never really noticed any ringing or hearing loss but in the last year I’ve noticed the former when just sitting around. Last time I had my hearing checked was close to a decade ago and it was fine. Not sure what it is now.
I still do close to 20 shows a year and will be making sure to protect what’s left of my hearing.

FWIW, similar earplugs will fit in an aluminum pill case. I carry them on my keychain that way, so I always have them.

As a musician in a brass street band, I wear them all the time. It took a little getting used to, but having three trombones and five percussion next to you is pretty damaging. Since I always have them, I use them quite a lot.

Great idea. I am going to try that.

Thanks

Etymotics ER20 have been my go to. come with case and keeper cord. The triple flange design is uncomfortable for some folks. https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Fidelity-Earplugs-ETY-Plugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS?th=1

Protect yourself, protect your hearing.

I’ve purchased pricey earplugs that supposedly block the volume but keep the clarity before, and they are mostly disappointing. I usually forget them at home and end up buying the cheapo foam bullets they have in a jar at the door. Maybe these are better, maybe I’ll eventually buy some, but for now I’ll just muddle on with whatever’s handy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.