EU plans to equip cars with automatic speed limiters

I’m glad this turned out to be a farce. My first thought was “how the hell is this going to work with manual transmissions?” I mean, I know how a governor works but seriously don’t see it being that practical and the reason I drive manual (aside from getting tired of paying $2K to have transmissions repaired) is to have more control over my car.

Well, a lot of rambling for not much reason. I’m the car you pass, not the car that passes you.

Also, they are not reading your email.

1 Like

If they are reading my email they are wasting their time. Home owners association conflicts lack any international importance. Although they can be terrifying.

1 Like

The 155 mph limiter (250 km/h) is a “gentlemen’s agreement” between the major car manufacturers in Germany. So that’s Audi, BMW and Mercedes, plus VW now they make cars capable of that sort of speed.

Porsche have never been part of the agreement.
Audi claim to be, but I’ve heard reports that a lot of Audis will actually go faster.

All the manufacturers will remove the speed limiter if you ask them to (and pay for it), though I think some will ask for proof that you’re a competent driver.

Of course, given that Germany has unrestricted autobahns, people there do actually drive that fast…

Going by the update and how these things really work, the better interpretation would be that the commission is saying “everyone keeps talking about this, so let’s fund some real research and see just how feasible or foolish this really is.”

Railroads have been doing this with simpler devices for years.

People like my dad would take them out, just on principal.

We had a 50 mph limit on national roads (excluding motorways) for a while in the UK

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.