Europe's right-to-repair movement is surging -- and winning

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/14/screwloose.html

5 Likes

What? They’re going to let the mere opinions of some plumbers and housewives outweigh the real stakeholders - business and manufacturers? There’s a word for that: mob rule. (All right, number Nazis, two words.) Soon, every Hans and Jacques will be running around fixing things, willy-nilly. Don’t come crying to me when they start 3d-printing nuclear weapons and demanding free medical marijuana!

5 Likes

Well, it’s a step in the right direction.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear about this. What I had previously read about right to repair was all about software that locks out owner repair, so it’s nice to hear that the movement extends to physical design. For some aspects of physical design, it might be nice if there were additional standards available from DIN and other similar agencies. A standard compressor mount for refrigerators, a standard battery connection for handheld power tools - the existence of these sorts of standards could allow companies that comply with them to advertise that they do so, which would give customers who are interested in purchasing repairable appliances and equipment help to differentiate these products from others on the market.

6 Likes

Europe have already made some laws in that spirit, we have standards phone chargers, at least we HAD, since companies like Apple can’t help to break the law to maximise e-waste.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.