Even though they raised the canopener bridge, it's still claiming victims

That’s not even remotely close to what I actually wrote… but I’ll take the fact that you took the time to make up a bingo card just for this topic, as a ‘yes.’

2 Likes

There’s a reason I assign this as an extra credit problem in my Systems Analysis class.

3 Likes

May it continue to bring you such boundless joy, forever.

1 Like

The simplest solution is for the drivers of rental trucks to not be idiots. Therefore, yes, there is no solution to the problem. :grinning:

6 Likes

4 Likes

Must cannot be overheight, by definition. It has already been trampled.

2 Likes

i’m not so sure about that. Ask Boston about their Molasses.

3 Likes

I’ve just realized that the original height of 11’8" is the same as the height of the closest railroad bridge to my home.

I can tell you from personal experience, that is VERY low. I’ve seen quite a few school buses over the years have to back up down the street when they get close and realize they need to nope themselves out of there. If you put your bike on the roof of your car, you might not clear, especially if you have an SUV. Many U-Haul trucks are too tall, even.

How anyone could be a legit truck driver and not eyeball the bridge from a block away, I can’t fathom.

4 Likes

The vast majority of the time it’s rental trucks, Ryder, Penske, etc with the odd generic white cube van thrown in for good measure. It’s not generally “legit truck drivers” hitting this thing. It’s just regular Joe/Janes that happened to rent a truck.

Also they recently raised it to 12’4" (or 11’8"+8" in the parlance of fans of the site), which seems to have reduced the full “Penske peel” to the slight shave on display in this video. It’s still plenty low enough to peel open a full tractor-trailer, but those are pretty rare for this underpass.

7 Likes

With a bit of creative engineering, you could combine that with the “water curtain” idea.

Although it isn’t exactly water…

3 Likes

3 Likes

I was around Thomasville (or around that area in NC) driving along a little two lane road doing 40 mph or so. I see a sign that mentions one lane and tunnel ahead. Literally 500 feet around the curve I head into a short one lane tunnel, where I couldn’t see the other side before entering (due to curve, not length). Of course a car was about to enter the other side… Let’s just say my ass puckered and a whole lot of WTF was going on.

I believe it was a similar setup of an old railroad bridge and very tight sides of the road.

1 Like

I can’t tell if sarcasm or not…
However I will say the Piedmont area has mostly given up on world class wines and makes great sweet wine instead. A lot of them are like drinking spiked grape juice. Served chilled they are refreshing and easy to drink.

Needs a tiny copy of itself as one of the squares. And possibly the text of this comment.

3 Likes

I could use it to replace the center square…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.