Every programming video tutorial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/every-programming-video-tutori.html

3 Likes

The order of these posts is premeditated and nothing will convince me otherwise.

adplacement

19 Likes

That is VERY TRUE. They’re always happy path, one-I-made-earlier utopianism that avoids the down’n’dirty crap and compromises of real life.

That said… er, is there a link I can download the project file? :wink:

4 Likes

“See, anyone can code. You’re obviously a moron if you can’t make a living doing it.”

4 Likes

Google it. That’s how ~90% code development works nowadays.

Except for me. I write all my stuff from scratch :slight_smile: Or at least that’s what I tell the person writing my paycheck.

4 Likes

I usually skip the google step and go straight to Stack Overflow.

9 Likes

9 Likes

More generally, monetization incentives have led to a game of promising an answer in the normal textual way to attract the Googles, and hiding the answer in a video in order to make a fraction of a cent by wasting the supplicant’s time. This game usually happens where the Big Reveal is a command line switch or similar, where the entire relevant payload would easily fit in a tweet.

What a bleak, horrible future we live in.

5 Likes

This is almost half of them the other almost half they spend all the time going through the minutiae of one line of code. There is a small amount of videos that go through the code at a reasonable pace.

4 Likes

Almost always. Handmade Hero is an exception, with everything done live, from scratch, with no libraries, and no hiding the ugly parts. Well, the ugly parts of C++ are hidden by virtue of not using them, but that results in a much nicer experience all-round.

Then again, perhaps starting from scratch and not being forced to conform to shitty standards is a luxury that excludes it from being applicable to real-life.

Still worth watching though. Adopting some of the approaches single-handedly made me enjoy programming again. The combination of ~2 second compile times and automatically unloading old code and loading new – without closing the program or resetting any state – is heavenly.

3 Likes

Agh don’t get me started.

I will say, though, that it is a poor tutorial parody which doesn’t go ahead and use the phrase “go ahead” at least three times per sentence.

6 Likes

Some folks have referred to Bisqwit as “the Finnish code slinging Bob Ross”.

The vector cross product is like black magic. I still don’t understand what it does. But that’ll be our little secret.

3 Likes

Came to say the exact same thing. Someone is undermining the store! (Shock! Horror! Probe!)

What language did he use?

4 Likes

This is r/restofthefuckingowl stuff right here.

2 Likes

“Go ahead and” in tutorials is like “just going to” in cooking shows.

the first program i “wrote” was a five page tome for a tank game at the back of a magazine. in basic. complete with line numbers and gotos.

i don’t think i got it to work and i suspect neither did the original author.

4 Likes

I can’t tell you how amusing it was as a young’in with a C64. It was something like:

10 print "Ha ";
20 goto 10;

Comic gold when you’re 5 years old.

4 Likes

df20050421

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.