Every year, this scary rope bridge over a river must be replaced

Besides the bridge, they’re building Community.

8 Likes

Same reason the Amish raise barns together by hand instead of hiring Acme construction. It’s a tradition that brings people together literally and figuratively. Kind of like Christmas, but with more giving and less entitlement.

22 Likes

But no one would USE those decorative bridges. This is a bridge that I imagine is being used every day, and every time someone uses it they remember “I helped build this bridge, along with my friends, neighbors, and community. And the community on the other side of the river.”

Grass: free
Labor: mostly free, and good exercise
Knowing you built a bridge and a community: Priceless.

17 Likes

And you can always go up to the government bridge if you actually need to cross the river: free, mostly free, good execise and priceless

1 Like

You’ve confused “cost” with “worth”. Did you read your own link? Besides, that theory of economics is fairly well discredited, if only by history.

3 Likes

Maybe a better way of putting it is that the nature of the project forbids the possibility of debt.

4 Likes

How in hell did he get his hands on a Hanzo Hattori blade? Either way, should be added to this list: https://hackaday.com/2015/11/18/suspension-bridges-of-disbelief/

2 Likes

In isolated tribal communities, events like this make an excuse to strengthen the relationship between tribes, and to introduce young men and women from each tribe to men and women in the other, fulfilling a biological necessity for genetic diversity.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Well stated sarcasticunny. I agree with your reason for why they probably do it, but that’s not what I was questioning. The article states:
“You wonder: why don’t they build a modern one that lasts? Then you watch the video and you know why.”

So, yeah you and I can come to a similar conclusion as to why they might be doing this every year, but the video doesn’t supply a definitive answer as the article claims it does. No big deal to me, but if an article claims that it has an embedded video that answers a specific question, but then the video doesn’t at all address that question, then I feel I’m in the right if I mention said omission.

2 Likes

But to me, the video does answer the question. As others have said above, I can see that building that bridge also builds community. And that it maintains a very lengthy tradition. All for basically free.

11 Likes

It is replaced yearly, but it doesn’t mean it HAS to be replaced yearly. Tradition merely dictates that it is.

1 Like

Well, the old pretty one looks pretty weather beaten. Maybe it only HAS to be replaced if they want to insure against someone’s death plunge.

3 Likes

Is… is that Norm?

It’s always good to have a backup…

https://www.google.com/search?q=35w+bridge+collapse+pictures

I’m bewildered that anyone finds fault with this excellent tradition. Go build your own bridge with whatever, and whoever you want. They seem very happy with theirs.

5 Likes

Agreed. It is interesting that John Ochsendorf (the civil engineer in the video), doesn’t take the old bridge and do any testing on it to determine useful life (to see if they could swap it out every two years), or if it has too much safety margin to be useful (saving some labor for the build each year).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.