Portugal just opened the world's longest suspended footbridge, and it's not for people afraid of heights

Originally published at: Portugal just opened the world's longest suspended footbridge, and it's not for people afraid of heights | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaT_VGQEIFw

15 Likes

Looks sturdy and impossible to accidentally fall off of, but that see through grid deck :open_mouth:

9 Likes

nope-bridge

37 Likes

Saw that on NPR Friday and it went on my list. Yep yep.

7 Likes

it’s really funny to see everyone walking the same direction on the bridge. ( oh gosh. maybe it’s a one way trip :frowning: )

i do kind of wonder, is it always going to be guided tours across, or at some point do people have to squeeze past each other going opposite ways?

6 Likes

Not nearly as impressive, but still one of my favourite places around where I live is the Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge.

Note for tourists, this bridge is free and the Capilano Suspension bridge just down the road, is just a $50 tourist trap.

26 Likes

Hmmmm, I have a complicated relationship with heights, so long as I feel secure, I’m fine, but that mesh, see-through floor is starting to trigger the insecurity thing. It’s a long way to go to find out my flight reflex kicks in.

6 Likes

There are people walking past each other at the beginning of the video.

3 Likes

One hundred people are allowed to cross at a time.

must they “break stride” so as not to set up undue harmonics? or is crossing in clog dance formation permitted?

(what did The Myth Busters decide about bridge marching resonance?)

6 Likes

No. So not attract sandworms.

20 Likes

There was a temporary suspended pathway to the new US border checkpoint from Mexico alongside the Tijuana river before construction finished (it hung off the edge of the pedestrian bridge over the river, and met the new construction about 100 feet away). The harmonics of people’s stride created waves that really upset older folks, who stopped using it in favor of the sturdy concrete of the original border crossing.

8 Likes

This is good, although I don’t totally understand the economics of a bridge this size just for pedestrians in the middle of nowhere. Unless it’s much cheaper than I imagine. In which case I’m even more annoyed than I already was about the dearth of pedestrian river crossings in London.

2 Likes

Yikes! I wonder how long it will be before the base jumper makes use of that 175m drop.

5 Likes

Oh dear. Of course you saying that now means I’d be guaranteed to fall right off. Because “They said it could never happen”. I’m not even in Portugal, and still I feel doomed.

6 Likes

Fewer rescues of people trying to clamber across the gorge?

ski rescue GIF by euronews

5 Likes

I was learning to skydive right around the time BASE was becoming a big thing. I remember thinking: those people are nuts! Then I took a look in the mirror.

3 Likes

The bridge to NOPEwhere.

7 Likes

This was literally the first thing I thought of–we had gone there in September right before the recent unpleasantness began. Beautiful and free, although we did buy some food at the cafe in the Ecology Centre.

However, apparently it’s closed for the time being.

3 Likes

These things absolutely terrify me but I have to go and take photos anyway.

1 Like