Portugal just opened the world's longest suspended footbridge, and it's not for people afraid of heights

“you feel like you are walking on air.”
If air was metal

1 Like
6 Likes

How about Walkin’ on Sunshine?

7 Likes

There’s always the “Columbia Icefield Skywalk” for that. The floor and walls are glass, unlike Mr. Meccano here. I’ve never been, but my friends who have vary widely from “terrifying” to “like walking over the little bridge over the ornamental pool in the mall”. It’s also just a U-turn.

6 Likes

If I’m that high up, my goal is to get across as quickly as possible. Watching those pedestrians made me wish for a zip line…with a very sturdy, no-fail mechanism to prevent anyone from falling off, of course.

6 Likes

[…] and it’s not for people afraid of heights

As opposed to all those other bridges that are made for people afraid of heights.

3 Likes

Is an hour south of Porto — or two north of Coimbra — really the middle of nowhere, though?

3 Likes
4 Likes

It was built for adventurers, to attract tourism and investment to the area, if that helps explain it.

From CNN:

516 Arouca – so called because it’s 516 meters long and is in the town of Arouca, an hour south of Porto – connects Aguieiras Waterfall and Paiva Gorge and is the latest adventure offering in the Arouca Geopark, known for its extreme sports.

“This bridge aims at targeting the interest of different types of people: engineering lovers, nature connoisseurs, people who are fond of extreme experiences,” said the local council, Arouca Municipality, in a statement released last year.

So, not like rope bridges that were necessary for travel and trade and communication.

7 Likes

Perhaps you would like a nice garden on a bridge? Or take one of the seven other crossings.

4 Likes

Does anyone remember the jungle canyon rope bridges, under Thatcher, in the eighties?

4 Likes

Fortunately, these days, the Jungle Canyons in Birmingham have all been filled in; so we no longer have an issue with rope bridges and zombies. There is still a problem with rolling-stone-ball-death-traps, though.

3 Likes

monty python coconut GIF

4 Likes

nope, nope, nope, nope, nope…NOPE.

3 Likes

This one’s a beaut as well:

Incredible views. Then after a few years they had to figure out how to clean the underside of the glass, can highly recommend the series Sky High Scrapers:

4 Likes

Alas one of Boris’ many vanity projects

1 Like

Yes, thanks. That would be lovely.

4 Likes

That it’s a myth. The energy in footsteps isn’t sufficient, and it’s impossible to get all those footsteps sufficiently well synchronized anyway. Not even trained marchers can do it.

3 Likes

Not everything is about economics. Many countries build amazing things because they are amazing.

3 Likes

But did they try these guys?

6 Likes