World's highest bridge opens to traffic

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/30/worlds-highest-bridge-opens.html

6 Likes

Where is Dean Potter when you need him?

2 Likes

What could possibly go wrong?

7 Likes

There is no friggen way I could drive that thing. I get queasy just looking at it.

8 Likes

In before bridge failure!

/s

9 Likes

Why did we build it all the way up here?
Shut up! That’s why!

12 Likes

I saw the Hoover Dam bypass when it was being built and that was high enough for me.

8 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

16 Likes

The Millau Viaduct still has the tallest towers (ETA OP called this out… oops at least it stopped me from adding a missive on the difference between the tallest and highest bridges). I didn’t realize until checking Wikipedia that many of the world’s highest bridges are in China.

3 Likes

Can someone lend me a hand? I stopped to take a photo on the bridge, an dropped my keys.

Don’t worry, they have a “clapper” attachment. It won’t take us long to find them.

8 Likes

Probably still falling.

14 Likes

I remember seeing about one bridge that had a drivers service where a driver would give you a blindfold and drive you over.

1 Like

So the drop is about .35 miles? Not bad.

Should suit one Nigel Pargetter,

1 Like

Oh yeah! Base jumpers will flock…

1 Like

I dunno looks less scary than this bridge that I have driven across more than once. It has since been demolished.
Narrow old, and potholes that you might be able to see through.

7 Likes

That is some awesome engineering. (As near as I, an admitted non-bridge engineer, can determine after skimming through a palm-sized video on my phone while waiting for food.)

I hope I never have the opportunity to cross it. Especially after experiencing first hand how they drive over there.

6 Likes

China is kind of like Texas these days. They always gotta have the biggest one of everything.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that any accident that sends you careening off the side of that thing won’t kill you any deader than a similar accident on, say, the Brooklyn Bridge or the Golden Gate.

8 Likes

Yeah, but you’ll have a lot more time to think about it on the way down. Why, I could mull over almost all my regrets!

13 Likes