Evidence of "character identification" found in the brains of Game of Thrones fans

Originally published at: Evidence of "character identification" found in the brains of Game of Thrones fans | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I mean, I feel like this would be true with any story/media where one identifies with/sees themselves in a character.

Thinking about this, though, in the case of Game of Thrones, while I liked the show, I can’t really pick a favorite character…

3 Likes

More surprising would be “Evidence of brains found in fans of Game of Thrones”…

That’s because if you had a favorite character, they died in the next episode.

6 Likes

Now do Tucker Carlson viewers…

2 Likes

More like ventral medieval prefontal cortex in this case, amiright?

7 Likes

What previous studies have found is that when people experience stories as if they were one of the characters, a connection is made with that character, and the character becomes intwined with the self.

Furries be like:

tumblr_oenr2cSpEY1ru10wao1_400

5 Likes

I assume the researchers left out Joffrey Baratheon or Ramsay Bolton for fear they’d actually have to meet someone who identified with them.

5 Likes

5 Likes

So readers of a book series with 5035 pages so far and a likely completed length well over 6000 are brainless? That’s an interesting take…

giphy

6 Likes

I think that’s the point, it just happened to employ the GoT fandom since it’s recent and still sort of newish…

brienne-ugh-shit

But it’s not REAL life, it’s stupid kid’s stuff… you know with all the ultra-violence and sex. :roll_eyes: /s

4 Likes

Me-ow!

giphy

4 Likes

That is also my new favorite GIF.

But more importantly, if you are going to take a dig at people’s television viewing preferences, you better not do it from an account where you’ve posted about how much you can’t stop watching The Circle.

Looking at you @jra

2 Likes

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.