Exciting space game Eve Online now integrates with Microsoft Excel

Originally published at: Exciting space game Eve Online now integrates with Microsoft Excel | Boing Boing

2 Likes

It makes sense. There are few better ways for aspiring corporate backstabbers to train for their future life of cut-throat yet banal office politics than Eve Online.

9 Likes

So that’s what they mean by damning with faint praise.

4 Likes

Any game where you need spreadsheets to track and balance all your stuff sounds like too much work.

5 Likes

Or a hardcore Accountant or Project Manager’s dream. Joking aside i could see how this game could be used as a training tool for some professions/fields

2 Likes

Cool, but what I really want is a plugin that will let me export my Q3 earnings projections as an EVE Online battle.

9 Likes

I have a friend who was hugely into that game for a while so I watched him play a few times to see what all the fuss is about. It really is “spreadsheets in space” as everyone says. Sure there are big pew pew space battles going on behind said spreadsheets, but the whole screen is covered in actuarial tables in 10 point font to ensure victory in said pew pew space battles.

As an aside, the gamer culture in that game is also among the worst in existence. It competes with fighting game culture for most misogyny, racism, queerphobia, extreme libertarianism, and all the other fun things we love so much about privilege-blind 20yo cishet white men.

8 Likes

I would love to see a spreadsheet interface to Pokémon Go. I enjoy the wandering around to parks and random places to catch and play, meeting strangers at an impromptu battle to coordinate the attack, but the maintenance of the menagerie does become the grind. Sorting through the ones to keep versus cull^H^H^H^H “transfer to the professor” is what makes it not so fun. Being able to sort and select more easily than in the existing interface would be nice.

Edit: spelling

2 Likes

Yeah, meanwhile Microsoft’s changes to GitHub are probably pissing off a key piece of that chain.

1 Like

Perfect for the Iron Bank to send their regards.

1 Like

That’s great! Now can they get my bank, credit card issuer and insurance company to export Excel spreadsheets of my activity?

4 Likes

Oh god, how nice that would be. American Express has the best tools in this regard, but it’s a low bar. Financial institutions love their useless friggin’ PDFs.

4 Likes

CCP must be happy that this news has spread everywhere, rather than any news about them raising the subscription price by 20% and losing more players.

Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game.

Soren Johnson

(edit: just to be clear; I’m absolutely fine with people having fun this way if they find it fun; but cheering for excel integration so you can count beans more precisely while the pew-pew lasers are flying definitely brought this quote to mind.)

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the subscription hike, but I have to wonder what player numbers have been like over the last few years. I can imagine that as the game ages CCP is going to rely more and more on a specific die-hard userbase who are willing to pay through the nose to keep playing.

just wait till next year when they incorporate power point!

2 Likes

I wish they’d rather they make more content for low sec to make it worth the risk of drunken pirate roams and such.

1 Like

That’s a great screenshot of EVE Online, but there should have been a screenshot of Excel in there as well.

3 Likes

PDFs? I wish some of my financial institutions could stop sending me paper statements.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.