Inside the weird world of competitive Microsoft Excel spreadsheeting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/14/inside-the-weird-world-of-competitive-microsoft-excel-spreadsheeting.html

9 Likes

Neat, but what about the calculation nerds that are anti-corporate? Does it have to be MS Excel or is LibreOffice allowed? For that matter, can I bring octave to an excel fight?

9 Likes

Oooh, Excel.

(spine shivers)

3 Likes

Not so much now, but 20-30 years ago the real excel gurus were participating daily on “expert how-to” sites, and must have taught millions of people (for free) how to do some amazingly complicated shit, drilling way down into what is now “developer mode,” an.increasingly obscure part of the app (to keep us out of trouble and mischief)… Now those people are mostly gone, having been shoved out by legions of slickly packaged & expensive suites of lessons, consultants,developers, etc… Money to be made, y’know.

1 Like
6 Likes

I thought perhaps they all gathered to play Hall of Tortured Souls.

1 Like

They did.

Some even played the Excel 95 easter egg in a desperate attempt to escape.

4 Likes

Sounds like Quacks. Good game

My last job consisted mainly of using excel to do server dimensioning for a highly non-linear set of compute tasks, under the supervision of a very abusive manager with a short temper. Building spreadsheets under a time pressure is my idea of what hell is like. No thanks.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.