Auto-fill made Excel so cool... in 1992

Originally published at: Auto-fill made Excel so cool… in 1992 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Nothing on this Earth can ever make Excel cool, Nada.

7 Likes

Excel is the Anti Cool.

Keeps auto filling 666.

1 Like

no printers in 1992 it seems

4 Likes

yeah, but I guess at this fancy office they just would walk around with there very large portable computers instead of just printing the spread sheet

@Papasan I also seemed to have accidentally replied to you the previous comment

Hey, don’t waste paper.

2 Likes

Maybe it was Bills dream of the Paperless office

1 Like

That’s real 21st century stuff, right there.

1 Like

Technology!!
trackball

I was using a real computer at that time…
Powerbook_duo_2300c

Also, Excel had been on the Mac for at least 5 years by that point.

4 Likes

Excel became cool last year when it got lambdas.

1 Like

I’ll admit, that was pretty compelling. I have a deep hatred for almost everything Microsoft, but Excel is still peerless in its class.

1 Like

I have pretty good luck with LibreOffice Calc. I don’t write VB macros in it, of course, but I can still do some complex stuff in it.

At work, of course it’s Excel. But at home, I’ve forced myself to learn the open source replacements for the things we use at work.

2 Likes

I’m enjoying excel much much more now that it is only 3% of my job instead of 80%.

3 Likes

Libre Office is great, especially since they adopted import/export of .xlsx ca. 2005(?), but if you’re sharing it with anyone it’s going to be in .xlsx and certain features will likely “break” (though it’s been a long time since I’ve used it so ymmv). One of the reasons I never use macros is because depending on someone’s settings or platforms, it can render an entire spreadsheet doa. Of course, I came into excel in an environment where everyone was running a different flavor of Office and my work had to be bullet-proof for any version. Seriously, at least until 2015 I had to export every file to .xls just so my boss could view it on his ancient home desktop. It taught me a lot about some of the less complex, but highly utilitarian functions of Excel.

ETA: Also, although I was initially pissed about the subscription model MS went to, it is well worth the $7 I spend monthly to not deal with the aggravation.

1 Like

I don’t know if this makes excel cool, but the work is beautiful.

7 Likes

Even more impressive than Mortgage Pig. Tanta Vive!

1 Like

ow my thumb, my thumb is making the noises

It used to have a built-in flight sim, which was technically off the Earth.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.