Excuses for not putting a woman on a U.S. banknote

No Twinkie but Heddy Lamarr did invent spread spectrum and frequency hopping and would add a bit of Hollywood sparkle as well.

Lamarr’s and Antheil’s frequency-hopping idea served as a basis for modern spread-spectrum communication technology, such as Bluetooth, COFDM (used in Wi-Fi network connections), and CDMA (used in some cordless and wireless telephones

15 Likes

Since when does U.S. currency only feature people who served as President? Plenty of non-Presidents have been featured on U.S. banknotes over the years, including the gentleman below. And that’s not even counting the many men and women who have been featured on U.S. coins.

10 Likes

Since when do people answer their own questions?

Unfortunately, many of the arguments I have read for updating the portraits on currency have used this argument that a president such as Reagan (ack) is more deserving of being on currency. So it seems like only another perfectly good excuse for having more woman presidents.

3 Likes

One of my favorite musicians, Jonathan Byrd, tells a great story that involves a portion of Jackson’s tarnished legacy. This isn’t my favorite version of this song, but this is certainly the best “story” part of it.

Tracks 14 and 15 are the intro-story and one of the best versions of this song [though this entire set is among his best]

1 Like

I know that Reagan’s policies had a profound effect on the course of American history but technically Nancy’s title was “First Lady.”

5 Likes

Hedley!

15 Likes

If we’re going to avoid women on our money, stick to tradition and display another turkey?

Franklin thought it should be the national bird, afterall.

3 Likes

I think W.C, Fields would have an answer for this.

1 Like

I vote for Anita Sarkeesian, if only so I could enjoy the sound of a million MRA heads exploding at once.

16 Likes

Sorry to nitpick, but there aren’t “scientists and equations” on Euro banknotes. The notes are deliberately very bland with no person’s face on them to avoid any claim that they are favouring that person’s home country.

All Euro banknotes have a map of Europe and a bridge in a given architectural style on one side and a window or gateway in that same architectural style on the other. The drawings are deliberately generic and not representations of any given building, again to avoid claims that they favour one country over another.

They do, at least vary in size and colour though!

3 Likes

I support putting Ronald Reagan on the penny and then phasing it out of circulation.

In all seriousness, I don’t understand why US money almost exclusively features politicians. Surely, they are the least this country has to offer.

9 Likes

It’s part of the deal the Secret Masters make when presidents take their oath of office. “Sure, we surgically remove your will, but you get to have a library and your head on a bank note.”

2 Likes

And imagine what Werner von Braun would look on the obverse. This could be the $20 bill for the 21st century-- celebrating the countries triumphant return from the Ashes of Pearl Harbor!

2 Likes

Oy. Autocorrect strikes again. Should have been “European.” Although the Euro is steadily changing that reality.

2 Likes

It’s not going to be.The next woman (Apart from the Queen, who apparently doesn’t count) to go on a bank of England note will be Jane Austen, replacing Charles Darwin.
Or, if you want to get technical, Victoria Cleland. will soon start appearing on all BoE notes.

Also, my inner pedant will not be satisfied unless I point out the existence of the current Fry, Slessor and Ingils series.

And imagine what Werner von Braun would look on the obverse.

First of all, it would actually be a bill for the 20th century, since the moon has been pretty lonely for decades.

Second, a Nazi? No one escapes controversy, but Von Braun’s legacy is way too tainted.

3 Likes

We need not retire any of the existing bill issues to do this. Considering inflation it’s high time we restarted issuing bills in denominations greater than $100. The major reason for stopping the issuance of larger bills is to make it easier for government surveillance of financial transactions. The current mood of the American people is to oppose surveillance.

I should have been clearer that I meant the next after Jane Austen (who I still feel was the blandest of the women suggested as possibilities).

If there is one thing I miss about Carlisle, it is getting the occasional Clydesdale Bank note. Why can’t we just scrap the Bank of England notes and use Clydesdale notes instead?

In that case, you’re right- I have a Serbian 100-dinar note with Nikola Tesla and the definition of the unit named after him, plus diagrams of some kind of electrical device, on it.

4 Likes

You hate Elizabeth Fry that much?(I suppose sooner or later, we’ll hear of some women’s prison project to tear down her legacy…)