Maya Angelou the first Black woman to appear on 25c coin

Originally published at: Maya Angelou the first Black woman to appear on 25c coin | Boing Boing

10 Likes

This is great! I hadn’t even heard of this program.
Too bad they’re leaving Washington on the other side, but I’ll take it.

17 Likes

“You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.” -Maya Angelou

17 Likes

Cool. Harriet Tubman on the 20 next please!

I remember that was scheduled to happen, but Tromp the racist halted it. Come on Joe, we’re waiting!

27 Likes

My daughter Maya will love this.

12 Likes

I would’ve never guessed that Maya Angelou would be on US currency but this is really cool to find out! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Get these coins while you can. When Trump comes back in 2024 they’ll all be recalled and melted down.

The talk was to put Tubman on the ten dollar bill, IIRC, but I would definitely support putting her on the $20 and kicking the arsehole Jackson to the curb. This is a fabulous image though, exciting!

IKR! But the irony will be that the tRumpers will recognize the coins’ worth because of scarcity and save them. What I’ve noticed is that such folks are into stuff like this, saving ‘silver rounds’, gold bullion (what’s a bullion?) and other such things akin to numismatics but not really.

1 Like

So who on Fox News will freak out when the coin commemorating Wilma Mankiller is released due to her “violent name”, and how it is “an attack on masculinity”, and other such crap.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Nope. @milliefink was correct:

FWIW, consider a quick google search before calling another poster wrong about an easily verifiable fact.

14 Likes

You do not recall correctly, sir; as Clutch already pointed out.

7 Likes

Given that @beschizza left out the US from the title I was expecting it to be some small country that also has cents to be honouring her.

1 Like

Wouldn;t be surprised if that were the case. I know a fair number of black Americans have gotten recognition abroad (in places like France)

5 Likes

Hey, thanks so much for the double correction, Mel, I really appreciate it, and maybe even deserved it! Gawd, I feel so much better.
ETA: /s

This is what I must have been thinking… Going back to 2015 and maybe even, the original idea by the Treasury Dept was to redesign the $10 note with a woman’s image. I even duckduckgo searched it, great suggestion, Clutch. Thankyousomuchforthat.

The $10 bill was originally up for a redesign before the $20, but then Lin Manuel Miranda’s musical made Alexander Hamilton so popular that nobody wanted to take him off the bill so the focus shifted toward replacing noted genocidal asshole Andrew Jackson (who hated paper currency anyway).

10 Likes

The woman is clearly a big enough badass to merit having her likeness on multiple denominations. I say we replace the slaver on the $1 with the “Moses” Underground Railroad Tubman, replace the genocidal maniac on the $20 with the Union spy/scout/special-agent Tubman, and on the $2 replace the guy who raped one of his enslaved women and kept the resulting kids as slaves until his death with the suffrage activist Tubman.

6 Likes

No worries. When you’ve been cryogenically frozen for the past almost 7 years, you should definitely look up more up-to-date info before telling women they’re wrong.
Pay it forward!

8 Likes

You said it, not me.

6 Likes

That was the whole point of trying to put her on the $20:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/harriet-tubman-on-the-dollar20-treasury-to-move-forward-with-effort/ar-BB1d5eRV

6 Likes