Exit polls showed opposition easily defeating Venezuela's Nicolás Maduro, but he has declared victory anyway

I totally get it, this seems strange and contradictory. Of all that I typed that part is mostly an angry rant, I’m sorry is not my intent to be a jackass or sound irrational.

This needs way more context, and it was not directed to anyone in particular.

2 Likes

… maybe the “international community” should sit this one out

Marcos Pérez Jiménez dictatorship (1953–1958)

Dictator Marcos Pérez Jiménez overthrew the elected president, Rómulo Gallegos, and seized power in the 1948 Venezuelan coup d’état. During this prosperity, foreign investment, particularly from American oil companies, grew along with the support from the Jiménez Regime. The anti-communist regime allowed and supported the exploitation of the country’s natural resources by the American oil industry, as a portion of the profits made its way from companies like Mobil and Exxon[11] to the personal coffers of Pérez Jiménez.[12][13]

3 Likes

I’m Venezuelan so. I know.

14 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/ntn24ve/

This is a local news agency, is part of RCN from Colombia, so they are not under constant pressure from the government to moderate their content.

Take a look at the last dozen of post from today, and contrast that with official outlets like telesur or vtv. Or even with local non state run outlets.

It is crucial that ppl outside Venezuela understand that the sentiment on the ground is quite different from the one reflected on state run media.

2 Likes

And yet you replied to a particular person… :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Seems like we shouldn’t be “targeting” other posters and dismissing their views out of hand…

9 Likes

Marge is convinced this is how it worked in Georgia.

15 Likes

There is nothing “out of hand” in this case.
You can read “easy idea to argue” if easy target is too much of a metaphor. If you see it that way, it’s ok, I guess. I’m not here to dismiss or stifle views,
I’m trying to point out false and dangerous ones, specifically about the one thing I know a bit more than the average poster here. And also I’m open to apologize if there is a bit more than that, like I already did.

2 Likes

Feel free to take issue with what other posters say. Maybe even ask for clarification, challenge them on the facts, etc. But a broad statement about how “gringos” need to shut up isn’t helpful. For one thing, not everyone here is an American, and even if they are, they might actually know about the history of LA than you may think.

10 Likes

Russia has congratulated him - and presumably is asking how Putin can get 109% in their next sham election.

5 Likes

Yes, about the “US backed” part of the opposition, how is that unlimited budget works for Venezuelan opposition in Venezuela?

Also, yes, Maduro is what you so accurately describe, he also the most grubby hands there are.

1 Like

It’s true, if I ever saw a graph that looked like that fraud thing I would instantly know something is up, because real graphs don’t change which line is in front part way. And yet someone must have put in more work to make it look like that? :confused:

6 Likes

11 Likes

The Venezuela graph is bullshit. There can’t be any timeline because there was only a single announcement that Maduro had won.

After a six-hour delay in releasing the results prompted international concern, the government-controlled electoral authority claimed Maduro had won with 51.21% of votes compared with 44.2% for his rival, the former diplomat Edmundo González Urrutia.

The council said that with about 80% of votes counted, Maduro had secured more than 5m compared with González’s 4.4m. Authorities delayed releasing the results from each of Venezuela’s 30,000 polling stations, saying only that they would be released in the “coming hours”.

7 Likes

The graph is made up, the OP is this weirdo Cheong guy, last night there was not the total amount counted, and the CNE does not publish anything close to that graph or A graph for that matter, maybe a pie chart in the state run TV.

The Data should be released in the coming month, if any at all.

That is clickbait for the confirmation bias mob.

4 Likes

Rather than spending the day refuting all the lazy dreck here, I invite you to read Common Dreams dot org “Maduro Wins Third Presidential Term in Venezuela” by Jake Johnson.

Why don’t you post the link?

ETA: The election was free and fair because five observers from the National Lawyers Guild said so.

The observers are totally neutral and objective. /s

NLG’s president, Suzanne Adely, said Sunday’s elections “were not only fair and transparent but also represented an example of popular civic participation.”

“Their successful outcome is a triumph for the Venezuelan people,” Adely added, “especially considering the level of U.S. interference and attempted sabotage of the democratic process, particularly through sanctions and coercive economic measures aimed at producing ‘regime change’ in Venezuela.”

9 Likes

Are you saying there’s something about the words you quoted by the NLG president that show that the NLG observers are not neutral and objective? If so, which words please, and how so?

2 Likes

They even quote a tweet from Venezuela Analysis uber reputable-non-bias-totally-non-state-financed group that came out of the blue to spread information about Venezuela in English to a hungry and non-driven by confirmation bias audience.

I mean, what else is to scrutinize?

/S

1 Like

… gee who would do that :thinking:

6 Likes