Expedia cancels family vacation flight, posts "Fuck You" on her account page

I once worked for a hotel. One thing you probably don’t know:

1. Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, travelocity, and a bunch more travel websites are all really Expedia. They compete against themselves (or don’t).
  2. Just because you book a room doesn’t mean you will get that exact room type. I recommend you attach to your reservation you are allergic to smoke so you don’t end up in a smoking room.
2 Likes

MoM?!?!?!?!?

5 Likes

They assume that everyone starts from 5 stars as meaning “acceptable” and deducts stars for problems. This means there’s no way to express “excellent, above and beyond the call of duty” in rating form.

4 Likes

ah, that’s what i get for not digging deeper, thanks for the clarification. seems like a lot of people would make the assumption and delete same as i do, which is a flaw in their strategy. marketing research…ugggggh. :slight_smile:

What would you say if it turned out to be 300 million and the first dual-mode engines in the US instead?

I call them hybrid since they’re diesel and electric, but if you think dual mode sounds steampunkier I’ll go with it. They have yet to paint any of them yellow.

1 Like

Steam power is hybrid, in a way. There’s the internal combustion of the coal, and the steam tank providing motive power. Not entirely unlike an IC engine charging batteries that power electric motors.

1 Like

I’d like the option “employee did the best he could, but never got training or authorization to handle my problem”. When you are not satisfied, the problem is often higher up in the chain.

8 Likes

When I worked customer support we had weekly meetings where we openly reviewed the feedback received for each case with case numbers and everything. It’s helps you to see what works and what doesn’t work.

This person just had enough i guess.

1 Like

Or even more, if you’re travelling coach with Wells-Fargo.

1 Like

I am a slam poet, so I don’t usually judge. But, occasionally when a judge is desperately needed, I’ll do it. A friend calls me the “judge from East Germany” because I will give low scores if a poem doesn’t do anything for me. I try to use the whole range from 1-10, but just getting up on stage and trying will be worth 2 or 3 points from me. Not everyone likes it, but poets who are looking for feedback more than accolades don’t seem to mind.

Of course, that example is absolutely trivial compared to someone’s livelihood. I guess this is the dark side of gamification.

And, if 5/5 is the only “good” rating, maybe they should just go ahead and make it pass/fail so it’s clear to everyone.

3 Likes

Agreed. Sadly the reality. In the one job where I had reviews like that if we got too many 3s, the store got its hours docked, meaning the front and center employees got screwed. Of course if you lose enough hours, you can’t have as many employees in the store to help customers, and the death spiral begins.

5 Likes

Well isn’t that exactly the core problem? The survey results are being used punitively to punish individuals (and not-coincidentally divert money away from workers and towards executives) and not to improve the company.

Exactly the same mechanism led directly to the clusterfuck at Wells Fargo.

5 Likes

Steam engines are generally referred to as being external combustion engines.

Yep - everyone has forgotten that surveys always have bias. And no-one has the solution.

As a survey respondent I’m a fan of a four-point scale:
Terrible - poor - adequate - great

No pointless or annoying distinctions between ‘acceptable’ and ‘adequate’, and being an even number you’re forced to come down off the fence.

Another really good option for responses is a continuous scale between ‘terrible’ and ‘great’, and you can click anywhere on the line between them. Apparently this is especially good for data analysts as it produces a finely grained and accurate response curve in a way that’s relatively intuitive for the surveyees.

1 Like

an Expedia employee appeared to have left her a message: “Fuck You!”

Would love to hear the other half of the story here, from the employee. Something tells me that this woman may have deserved the only small act of impotent retaliation avalable to this likely underpaid overworked drone.

Edit: <— Long time drone, expect bias from me in drone/megacorp disputes.

I don’t generally take surveys for services rendered, unless I get some sort of direct compensation. An exception is if I order a product and get it early, and it meets or exceeds my expectations. I had no idea that this sort of thing was happening. I mean, what the living, bloody hell is wrong with people? (Please - don’t speak up all at once!)

I conducted telephone surveys back in the 1990s when I was living in Lexington, KY. I’m great on the phone, because I have a good voice, and there’s no personal contact. The surveys were for various departments at the University of Kentucky, so none of them were of the “How are we doing?” variety. But I did have to ask about alcohol and tobacco, which were treated differently in KY than in MI, my home state. I got some guy at a gas station in Olive Hill, I think, and his reply was, “Honey, this is a dry county! (pulls away from phone) Hey, Earl! This lady wants to know if we sell alkyhol! (gets back on phone) No, honey, we don’t sell alkyhol this is a dry county.”

I did not make that up.

2 Likes

It’s useful to differentiate between those type of ‘gig worker’ reviews and reviews corporations conduct for quality control (though only a little, since in both cases the employer determines the circumstances upon reaching some malleable and arbitrarily set threshold).

Seems incredibly likely they were pressured to do both from on high.

It is likely they are pressured to upsell high margin add -ons, and it is likely they are pressured to get good reviews.

1 Like

Call me old-fashioned. I will not do these surveys. Period. If I have a serious complaint, the company will hear about it; if I have received unusually good service, the individual responsible will hear about it (as telling management rarely produces any benefit, although I will check the wishes of the person who provided the service in that regard).

Management seems to depend on a crap tonne of very dubious statistics these days. (Note that it’s a metric crap tonne, not an Imperial crap ton - there’s quite a bit more crap.)

2 Likes