Experimental drugs tested in African Ebola outbreak

[Permalink]

If Modern Cinematic Medical Science has taught me anything, this will either lead to patients developing super powers or the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse.

8 Likes

Of course they will ramp up experimentation now that some white people are sick. Sorry I meant straight white people. For full disclosure sake, I am a straight white person, well at least most of the time.

2 Likes

Meaning until someone BENDS you?

The alternative is starting with the experiments earlier, and doing experiments on poor disadvantaged Africans.

You won’t win.

2 Likes

Where it is happening is at University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston, Texas.

Oh sure, you say they’re just using them as Guinea pigs, but when some new cancer drug is out you can’t get on it soon enough.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals DNA Vaccine Against Ebola and Marburg Filoviruses
Provides Complete Protection in Preclinical Challenge Study

Polyvalent Vaccine Design Stimulates Significant Antibody and T-Cell
Responses with 100% Survival Against Multiple Families of Most Lethal
Virus Known to Man

BLUE BELL, Pa., May 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ – Inovio Pharmaceuticals,
Inc. (NYSE MKT: INO) announced today that in a preclinical study of
Inovio’s SynCon® DNA vaccine against Ebola and Marburg filoviruses,
labeled “Category A” bioterrorism agents by the U.S. government, the
vaccine induced strong and broad immune responses and demonstrated 100%
protection against death following a challenge with multiple variants of
the pathogen in two animal models

1 Like

I don’t care about the ethics, we need mass doubleblind trials to determine efficacy stat!

2 Likes

It’s probably a good thing for the infected doctors concerned. If the typical prognosis is 90% likelihood of dying, it’s hard to see how an experimental drug is going to make things worse or violate the Hippocratic oath. At least the infected people are repatriated and will probably get to see their families and loved ones during the treatment. It’s win-win. I just hope they recover.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.