Explain It Like I'm Five (ELI5) Thread

I’ve adored reading the answers to the science questions because I generally know nothing, Jon Snow, about most of that stuff . But, I have a psychology question, and if I should submit to Questions thread, send me over.

Scenario: You are at a conference/in a meeting/in a class. It has gone long, as these things are apt to do. The moderator/chairperson/teacher, in his/her infinite incompetence, asks if there are any more questions when frankly, said moderator/chairperson/teacher should shut that crap down because time is up. The lifespan of this Q&A had ended. Inevitably, somebody raises his/her hand. Why??? Why would this person do this? If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you are likely this person. :slight_smile:

Why? Why? Why would someone extend the discussion when we’ve moved past its current lifespan? Your topic may very well need addressing, but now is simply not the time. Is someone choking in the back of the room? No? Then you can find the speaker/colleague/teacher’s email and ask them separately. The rest of us need to go. We have other things to do/coffee-snacks waiting for us.

When I was in graduate school, there was a classmate – she was my age (24 at the time) and female. I only mention her age/gender to explain how I now refer to her. It has nothing whatsoever to do with her gender; she just happened to be around when I named this phenomenon for myself. Whenever it looked like we might get out 5-10 minutes early, she would raise her hand and extend the class. Since then, I have reminded myself every time I’m tempted to raise my hand and extend a discussion that needs to end: “Don’t be that girl.”

ELI5, please. Or please give me perspective so I can stop internally screaming at these people.

8 Likes