Explain It Like I'm Five (ELI5) Thread

They have, only to be replaced by something nearly identical from Theresa May.

7 Likes

Shit is in the top 1000 words bull isn’t.

Different gases where captured from the break down of different chemicals and catagorised intitally by the how well does this burn test. For instance oxygen was initially found from the heating of mercury oxide (i think) and this was found to burn well. Nitrogen put out flames and hydrogen would burn violently enough to make a popping noise.

Lavoisier was a pioneer in this area and probably a good place to start.
Shame he was executed.

4 Likes

Admitedly maybe not completely in the spirit of the thread but heres some places to start.

2 Likes

You may also want to look at brownian motion. It was discovered by a botanist called robert brown basically he was looking down a microscope at some pollen and it was bouncing around.
This was later explained by einstein as the pollen being bumped into randomly by the water molecules causing the pollen to jiggle. Like if you had a pool table and all the pool balls were constantly being hit by 100s of really fast moving marbles.

2 Likes

Found this when looking for a simple explanation. These I believe are used in nuclear reactors to cool them as they are completely sealed.

I wanted to ask anyone who knew about this:

Do university sports programs pay for themselves or not? Please explain this to me like I’m five, because every time I go to look this up, I am immediately confronted with people saying both. It seems like depending on how you do the math, you can make it seem like these athletics programs pay for themselves. I wanted to know the low-down on this, and on whether there are some programs that pay for themselves.

3 Likes

Probably because college sports religio… enthusiasts believe persons are only interested in their school because of the programs, thus marketing.

3 Likes

Do donations from rich alumni count as “profit”?

2 Likes

Well the arguments I hear seem to be focused on merchandising and admissions, and I could potentially believe that. Sports can be actually be profitable, and lord knows they’re saving serious money on player salaries.

2 Likes

Aren’t most stadiums a net loss for cities who pay for them?

1 Like

Ah, but the teams are profitable enough to have afforded them (or maybe slightly less good stadiums) in the first place.

Right. Socialize all costs, privatize anything that might be a public benefit.

5 Likes

Oo… Somebody has an MBA… showoff. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

And in this case the “teams” operate at the expense of the students.

Okay, but how are there two sets of books? It’s like in every discussion I see:

“Athletics teams at X University costs more than they bring in. [Quotes a number].”
“No they don’t. [Quotes different figure].”

3 Likes

Do any of the Unis have open enough books that we can sort through the facts?

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3057718/ Might prove useful for a few examples.

1 Like

It depends, in some cases, it actually does (top tier football programs like UGAs, yes). I don’t think GSUs new program does.

1 Like

I’m sensing that categorical fiscal objections to college athletics aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. I’ve never been a “school spirit” guy or someone who watches college sports. I’ve just been thinking about the rising cost of college lately and with fingers pointed in multiple directions I was wondering where to look. Lately I’ve been looking at the proliferation university amenities, but college sports pops up sometimes too.

1 Like

You also have to look at diminishing tax bases, and how many states have had a few rough years meeting their budgets thanks to the 2008 crash. Endowments for private universities are down as well. I don’t think it’s just stuff like new amenities, honestly.

1 Like