Exploring America's abandoned malls

Originally published at: Exploring America's abandoned malls | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Video not available in my country. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

In The Blues Brothers, the iconic car-chase-in-a-mall scene was shot in one of these; the producers came in and put up all the storefronts for the shoot. And then it sat abandoned again for years before finally being torn down.

10 Likes

It’s a pity they are being left to rot-they could be repurposed as senior/assisted living centers with apartments on one level and services on another, allowing for community and exercise away from the weather.
There was one immense outlet mall about an hour out of Chicago that worked for years to get a proper highway exit and just as the roadwork was completed the place shut down. Now it’s an empty field, but the big box stores and fast food chains are erupting just down the road.

10 Likes

Where is that?

4 Likes

Huntley, IL

8 Likes

In Wichita, KS I believe they are using an old YMCA to house the most used branch library, Westlink, until they finish building the new extension on the one they built when I was a kid. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.