Exploring the ruins of a Toys R Us, discovering a trove of sensitive employee data

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/23/toys-r-you.html

2 Likes

tumblr_lzae12vMlt1qzjku9o1_500

15 Likes

Contact the employees and offer to hand it over to them so they can look into suing the people who dealt with the wind down of the company. Don’t destroy the evidence.

18 Likes

To expand on that idea, just find one of the bunch who would like to launch a class action suit against Bain Capital, on behalf of the whole class of former employees.

15 Likes

I agree with you.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I suspect that you would have about as much success as you would suing Equifax over their data breach. It is better to be rich and guilty than poor and innocent.

10 Likes

Also, like the rest of us, these employees have already been doxxed 27 times.

4 Likes

My daughter works for Spirit Halloween every year and this year’s location is a defunct Toys R Us. Mostly they just found lost inventory that had fallen under shelves and into corners. I guess they did a better job clearing that one.

4 Likes

Seal it away for future archeologists to uncover the Temple of Toyzrus.

9 Likes

They were supposed to box them up and send them off. The issue with that is all the HR’s and managers were long gone by that point in the shut down, so it was left to the one and half basic managers these stores had. I didn’t especially trust where they were sending the files either, so I went through the boxes and retrieved my own files before they were taped up.

7 Likes

They were paper files? What about all the data? Hard to see how a normal employee could extract just their own data from that.

2 Likes

Correct. I wasn’t worried about the invisible data fairies floating about the backroom being found by urban explorers. The computers were packed up weeks before the building was emptied.

2 Likes

Good luck with Trumps Justice department.

1 Like

The Urban Explorers would probably find themselves up on charges of criminal trespass and identity theft.

2 Likes

MiltonBurn

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.