"Extraordinary" 4,000-year-old skull reveals medical milestone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/29/extraordinary-4000-year-old-skull-reveals-medical-milestone.html

2 Likes

I disagree with this interpretation. This is just further evidence for the existence of the ancient skeleton people whose existence inspired Halloween costumes and stop-motion Ray Harryhausen movies.

9 Likes

Trephenation is a known thing. What’s amazing is that these researchers have never apparantly heard of it.

I think they probably are aware of it, I think it’s the specifics of the surgery that they find interesting, specifically going after cancer… :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

The researchers talk about cut marks on the skulls around the lesions, but don’t seem to be describing trephenation.

7 Likes
1 Like

I’m certainly not discounting the possibility(or, across a sufficiently large sample size, virtual certainty) of female combatants; but it seems…a trifle optimistic…to see injuries consistent with violent trauma and think “warrior” rather than “estimates of the civilian casualty ratio tend to be at least 1:1 for conflicts where data is available.”

The fact that they were poking at cancer seems much more intriguing.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.