Eye exams in the United States are a scam

I’ll give you that buying your glasses online is the way to go, but I’d still rather visit a doctor every year to have a pro look at my eyes and retina. Besides, my vision insurance costs less than the eye exam and free contacts I’m allowed per year. Not really sure how they make money.

4 Likes

The exams are worth the cost (to a degree), the lenses are not; that’s where the rip-off occurs. And frames! Geez louise. But I’m at the point now where the lenses cost more than the frames, and even if you use old frames, they charge an exorbitant amount for “installation” and fitting the new lenses into the old frames. That’s the optician.

9 Likes

Sure, get your Zenni’s (I have 8 pairs), especially if all you want is plastic frames.

There is a world of high concept, finely engineered glasses that is worth your $800 (hopefully less with insurance). Then again, I don’t buy jewelery or watches, I buy glasses.

1 Like

I was glad that the optometrist checking my eyes mentioned that I had cataracts. Now I have new lenses, which lets me do many things without glasses at all. But the eyewear industry is basically a monopoly with vertical control over the whole business.

5 Likes

i just want them to stop sliding down my nose — cause it always looks like im staring at someones boobies when I’m talking to them

sadly, I remember what happened to Steve Martin with the “Opti-Grab” and I cant do it

9 Likes

This should be the top comment. Fuck purchased hardware as a service.

You know what’s also a scam?
EyeQue charging a subscription fee for its software-as-a-service app that’s the only way to use the hardware you buy.

1 Like

Everything changes in your teen years and early 20s. I need glasses before I was a teen, then did not need them from about 16 to 25, then needed them again, at a different prescription!

4 Likes

As someone with Ted Kennedy pumpkin-head syndrome it’s hard not to shop online since most stores carry maybe two pairs in my size, both of which usually look like old army glasses

5 Likes

Dude or dudette I’ve been glaucoma life since my mid twenties. What did think the low end was? It stinks

2 Likes

I checked my PD today. How’d I do?

18 Likes

Don’t trust your eye health to optometrists. Get a real exam from an ophthalmologist (MD) at least every two years.

Optometrists do their best, but they just aren’t trained in the same way and will miss problems an ophthalmologist will catch. They’re much more invested in selling high margin products.

It’s fine to see a D.O. in between your M.D. visits.

7 Likes

We used to call them BCGs - Birth Control Glasses.

2 Likes

I prefer wireframes myself. They’re less obvious, which suits my style, but I also find them more durable. If I pop out a lens with wireframes, it’s not too hard to put it back in. With plastic frames, it’s more troublesome, and cracking the frame (which I did as a kid) is even worse. But that’s just me. >shrug<

5 Likes

Frames need to be functional most of all, but they also become part of your face and therefore your first impression. If you happen to be young and gorgeous, almost any frame works. Whereas I regularly pitch to prospective freelance clients, and they already think I’m too old. I try to avoid dissonance between my glasses and my face.

I spend an hour or more at the opticians (shop local!) trying on frames with my spouse consulting on how they look. Ones that look almost identical on the display can appear quite different on my face (mostly because they all interact differently with nose and ears).

I’ve met people who proudly announced they got their glasses online. For a good 3/4 of them, I’ve already noticed that their glasses are noticeably unsuitable.

tl; dr: I order lots of things online, but never will I order glasses online. I am willing to pay more for the optician’s inventory and the hours I spend there.

5 Likes

If your eyes are symmetric around your nose, your average PD will be 62-65mm. If you are a bit more asymmetric, then it would be left pupil to center of nose, and right pupil to center of nose, so two measurements.

Most online places default to the symmetric combined PD, but you can usually switch over to the asymmetric two numbers.

3 Likes

As a fellow macrocephallic person I understand. Unless I want the arms splaying out, I typically need at least a 57mm frame, and those are few and far between. That’s why I have like 2 pairs of the same damn Oakley frames.

2 Likes

wide of the mark?

I’ve never even heard of Luxottica. It may be because despite using glasses for over a third of my life by now, I’m only on pair two. Looking at the frames, though, they do appear to be Ray-Ban, so I guess they got me anyway.

1 Like

I was just making assumptions based on my own family medical history. Turned out that wasn’t much of a guide.

2 Likes

I find out on Thursday if I am a candidate for laser eye surgery. I have very bad eyes and I’ve worn glasses for more than 20 years. I don’t want to wear them anymore.

6 Likes