Eyewitnesses say police refused to confront Texas gunman, who was in school for "up to an hour"

I’m fairly certain that’s not even true; he put himself in the classroom, and due to either incompetence or cowardice didn’t attempt to enter.

1 Like

It’s a common problem, whatever the size of the town. It’s not a “small town” problem it’s a modern policing problem. It happens literally everywhere.

17 Likes

Every tragedy, everywhere, all at once…

15 Likes

Nah, it’s because certain types of people weren’t allowed to live in the neighborhood. And it was easy to do that, because those people are color coded for your convenience.

Read the rest of the sentence. I agree it should be. They’re trained that it’s not, and they’ve gone to court and gotten the courts to agree that it’s not.

I’m not making excuses, I’m pointing out that this is a systemic, cultural problem with policing in this country.

2 Likes

Which isn’t an excuse, if you ask me, for the police.

Fine and I’m pointing out what a bunch of cowards the cops are, using the law to shield themselves from accountability and to shield themselves from helping people.

18 Likes

We’re in full agreement on both points.

7 Likes

By all accounts, the teachers were shot first. Armed teachers wouldn’t have helped here, there would just be more weapons for the shooter to use on the kids. And if trained, professional police officers are too scared and too task saturated to confront a shooter, a teacher definitely will be. They’re already likely overloaded on tasks WITHOUT kids coming in and shooting the schools up.

Something else to think of is, we’ve now had basically a generation of this. Your school shooters nowadays know EXACTLY what to train for to do the most damage because they were drilled on the response to school shooters. School shooters who are 18 years old have been practicing their entire lives on the other side of this thing. It likely made this one more effective since he knew that a room would be mostly barricaded for him.

The problem is guns. Period. This kid bought 2 AR-15s and thousands of rounds of ammo on his 18th birthday, and the first gun crime he committed that day (after, of course, shooting his grandmother) was when he walked into that school. If he hadn’t shot his grandmother, everything else he did with those guns was legal because Texas is now an open carry , no license state.

19 Likes

I absolutely hate that SRO (School Resource Officer) has become a well known and accepted terminology for armed police in schools. And that having police in elementary schools is accepted and considered normal.

11 Likes

I don’t disagree - I mean, the teacher’s desk and the chalkboard are almost always in view of the door - my only point is that with cops as useless as they’ve shown to be, even something as stupid as arming teachers has a real chance of being more effective. But “armed teachers stopping shooters” and “armed cops stopping shooters” are still competing for last place while “getting rid of guns” is the favorite for first place.

Another argument against arming teachers comes from my extremely right leaning mother, a woman who was an educator for 50+ years and owns handguns, rifles, and a shotgun, and it was as simple as this:

If you arm teachers, with all the pressures and duties and tasks you put them under, and now make them responsible for taking out armed aggressors, you will have teachers shooting up schools in a matter of years. It’d take one bad 15 hour day and someone doing the wrong thing and a sleep deprived teacher would make mistakes.

18 Likes

Officers used force against parents trying to come to the aid of their kids.

and

A Uvalde police officer said some cops saved their own children from Robb Elementary School before the shooter was stopped.

23 Likes

breaking bad bullshit GIF

Stop it.

A Uvalde police officer said some cops saved their own children from Robb Elementary School before the shooter was stopped.

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

23 Likes

PS - A similar thing happened in Buffalo, where officers arrived and instead of shooting the (white) suspect, they waited until they got just the right angle to tackle him.

Omitted from that story is the number of people killed while that happened.

So, yeah, cops are often cowards whenever you need them most. But hey, have a taillight out, and they are the toughest SOBs you ever want to deal with.

21 Likes

Go back up and watch Beau’s video on the subject. It is absolutely their responsibility to go into that situation. Whether they want to or not should not be a factor. I haven’t wanted to swim in Covid for the last 2 years, but here we are. ACAB.

24 Likes

Cops these days are very often armed with AR15s. If they have some training with them, they would be extremely effective and would be able to stop shooters like this from a safe range. AR15s are really great weapons in a situation like this, with some training.

It’s really not. They don’t get training in clearing buildings and team tactics. Regular beat cops in a small town like this might get very little training on AR15s. They might not even have well set up AR15s. The whole reason why SWAT teams were created was to create a capability to handle situations that are beyond what can be handled by ordinary cops. In larger and better funded cities, a lot more cops will get some of the advanced training that SWAT teams get. Obviously not in this small town.

Exactly. This is the classic scenario where, no matter what, LE have to go in. And they didn’t.

No, it really is their job to go in. You can’t sue them for not doing their job, but that doesn’t mean it’s not their job.

4 Likes

rupauls drag race bingo GIF

Why. The. Fuck. NOT. :woman_shrugging:

19 Likes

From the cop’s perspective, yeah sure, you never know until you are put in the situation, but you are supposedly trained and equipped for the job and it is your duty to do it.

As a parent, I fucking know I would not hesitate a second to go in myself and try to save my child’s life, even if it were a slim chance.

Being forced to stay put while having to watch the cops do nothing and listen to the gun shots from inside the building, that must be true hell.

16 Likes

This is utterly unforgivable. Holy shit, what assholes.

28 Likes

I doubt that. Expensive training for cops is a thing here in Texas. I would be surprised if those officers never received training on active shooters. Schools do active shooter drills in Texas and the local PD participates.

Also, it doesn’t really matter. It was their job to stop that man. The SRO was armed. There are 19 children dead and hundreds more traumatized because the SRO didn’t do their job. It was their job and their duty to put themselves in harm’s way for those children.

22 Likes