Justice Department: police acted with "no urgency" to confront Uvalde gunman as he killed 19 children

Originally published at: Uvalde report: police showed "no urgency" to stop shooter

3 Likes

The cops will confuse their collective cowardice as “feelings of urgency”, therefore, they did act with urgency.

11 Likes

Cue the cavalcade of idiots who insist the only real solution to school shootings is to arm teachers.

Because surely someone trained to educate children would be better at this kind of thing than multiple law-enforcement agencies staffed with officers who were specifically equipped and trained to deal with armed suspects?

14 Likes

“Passing the buck” is tacit policy for the NRA and for those they have in their pockets.

10 Likes

I think you mean 2022, not 2002?

5 Likes

FTP-403x403

13 Likes

11 Likes

33 Likes
6 Likes

“…technology problems.”

Such as the 1st guy on the scene FORGETTING HIS RADIO, perhaps?

4 Likes

Standing, Waiting, Absent, Tired.
How are these people still taxpayer employed; in the districts that are paying their (high for the area) salary/wages?

6 Likes

Seems like it was likely a school full of mostly non-white kids, so like most cops, they didn’t see any urgent need.

3 Likes

I have posted several comments over the past few months on the Uvalde PD public page excoriating them for their abject cowardice. And gun-fellating GQPers want teachers to tote firearms when the trained “professionals” can’t even use their penis extensions for what they were intended? Pathetic. #ACAB

12 Likes

…and the GQP want teachers to have guns? The “trained” LEOs won’t even do it. Pathetic.

3 Likes

The police chief at the time was Hispanic, like most of the victims. I assume most of the police in that town are also Hispanic, as the city is 78% Hispanic.

The lead BORTAC agent who went in was Warren Becker III, who is white. The other BORTAC agents I saw identified were Christopher Merrell, also white, and Paul Guerrero, I assume Hispanic from the last name.

This wasn’t a racial issue, this was just a total failure of this police dept and their SWAT team.

5 Likes

#notallracistcops

3 Likes

You left out this nasty phenomenon often called “internalized racism.”

Racial bias isn’t necessarily about how a person views himself in terms of race, but how he views others in terms of race, particularly in different roles throughout his everyday life. And systemic racism, which has been part of the US since its founding, can corrupt anyone’s view of minorities in America. In the case of police, all cops are dealing with enormous cultural and systemic forces that build racial bias against minority groups.

11 Likes

“You knew that it was definitely an AR,” Uvalde Police Department Sgt. Donald Page said in an interview with investigators after the school shooting. “There was no way of going in. … We had no choice but to wait and try to get something that had better coverage where we could actually stand up to him.”

Maybe racism, maybe not. Absolutely cowardice. “I am not going to put my safety on the line for a bunch of kids I don’t even know! Are you out of your mind?” (Uvalde police, probably.)

8 Likes

They never cared they had protection the kids didn’t. Ballistic shields, helmets, military grade bulletproof vests, and expensive training for that type of situation. Just sat around, over two hundred of them, while the children died and suffered. Wouldn’t let the parents, who had no protection, even try.

Absolute height of cowardice and callousness towards the children.

9 Likes

To reiterate @milliefink’s point… the policing SYSTEM (and criminal justice system) is indeed racist. Until we grok that simple fact, police of all races will keep doing shit that hurts POC more than white people…

Denying it doesn’t help and letting it continue doesn’t serve justice.

17 Likes