Justice Department: police acted with "no urgency" to confront Uvalde gunman as he killed 19 children

What the Uvalde situation really makes starkly clear is how the police militarization we’ve seen is a lot of hollow bellicose LARPing; bringing with it many of the disadvantages of having cops thinking and acting like an occupation force to whom the public is an enemy; but it’s not really militarization.

Basically any military has something between a ‘professional’ and an ‘existential’ interest in ensuring that its members will comply when told to do potentially lethally risky things(they generally encourage good tactical practice; because successes are more valuable than dead heroes; but whatever level of risk can’t be reduced is absolutely not supposed to block obedience to orders); and that its leadership at all levels won’t be paralyzed by the fact that sometimes their orders are going to get their people killed if that is what the situation demands. It would be a pretty abjectly broken army that couldn’t take over 350 armed personnel and tell them to go in after a single rifleman; even if breaching is dangerous.

Cops, we learn, love to wallow in the alleged peril of their situation; but absolutely don’t have that. You get all the adversarial asshole aspects that militaries can be tempted by; but you don’t actually get the internal discipline or risk tolerance.

8 Likes

Ah, the “I have a Black friend” of systemic racism.

6 Likes

One of the most heartbreaking things I heard one of the parents say is that they still see these “police officers” working around town. They know these people are responsible for children’s deaths, yet have to run in to them on a daily basis

2 Likes

You seem so easily convinced of that, despite a lack of any actual evidence of that dubious claim.

:thinking:

9 Likes

Most of the victims were POC.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Holy shit. That’s the grimmest combination of words I’ve ever imagined. I think I’m done internetting today.

4 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

6 Likes

I still can’t help wondering what the response would have been to reports of a gunman at a snooty private school.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.