Eyewitnesses say police refused to confront Texas gunman, who was in school for "up to an hour"

Billie Eilish Wtf GIF by Global Citizen

Why is this so difficult for some to wrap their heads around… when has “legal” ever equated to “just” in many cases in the US?

lady gaga applause GIF

That’s all the same thing. I promise they’re far less likely to protect a working class white man as opposed to an upper class one.

17 Likes

With idiotic and tone-deaf responses from the GOP and the NRA only adding to the shitiness and misery.

8 Likes

You do absolutely have a point about the tendency of many police to simply let loose because they know that qualified immunity means they don’t have to worry about being prosecuted or sued for a mistake; my remark about 3-foot-tall bystanders was meant to point out the idiocy of claiming someone might “mistake” a third-grader for a gun-wielding adult (which is apologia for “I shot then thought”).

2 Likes

“But” means “everything I said before this doesn’t count.”

2 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone pointing out the legal issue but I think we are all on the same side here.

The point of saying the cops aren’t legally obligated to protect you is not to excuse but to admonish.

As long as there is no legal obligation to protect, Unions can keep building a system where cops are less able to help while simultaneously being free to indiscriminately kill people that make them nervous. Just and right don’t seem to mean anything to some of these Union leaders.

Somehow the party (GOP) that claims to be for law and order has created a system where cops have freedom from consequence but no obligations. That isn’t a solution to stopping the senseless murders of children.

I was reminded that the single cop at Parkland who stayed outside was charged with crimes, so perhaps it’s not so simple. I would be releived if there was even a modicum of responsibility and duty required. I would love to be wrong and see some consequences for the apparently pathetic response here.

For now I’m just an angry parent. Yelling at the internet. Furious at inaction, and seeing a system that appears broken to its core. Yet there is a single simple solution that no one has the political will to deal with because some people from 1791 can’t be questioned. It’s maddening.

8 Likes

Not helpful.

4 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t understand if and what we are arguing about. I am truely sorry if I offended. I am mainly posting in rage at the whole situation and could easily have said something stupid. I will reflect when I have calmed down.

I hope you have a good night, and one day we can wake to a world where this type of news story is just a sad page of the history books.

7 Likes

i fear this means the next argument the gop will roll out - and one that many “centrists” seem perpetually to agree to - is just add even more police funding and training

somehow when their solutions fail - more guns, more police, longer jail and prison sentences, more tax breaks for the rich, more thoughts and prayers - the answer is to double down on the losing bet

13 Likes

They know full well that their “solution” would only serve to guarantee a steady stream of lobby bucks.

12 Likes

I can answer that! Most police never fire their guns (outside of training) in their entire careers! That’s why the fraction of cops who have the interest and aptitude for being in gun fights get into special teams like SWAT, or transfer into bigger departments where there’s a need for that kind of thing. The rest, especially in a small town like this, really are Barney Fife type police.

It’s really tough to train people in a subject like that if they aren’t interested in it and the police chief doesn’t see the need and the city council isn’t even aware of it. And that’s all ok, until suddenly it isn’t.

And remember, building clearing and team tactics aren’t just one-time training. It requires regular (several times per year) refreshers. Most cops just aren’t interested.

This may come as a shock to you how little firearms training of ANY KIND police get. The one reference I found says that the average cop trains twice a year, about 15 hours total… PER YEAR! That’s just enough to stay proficient with basic handgun use. That’s all! That’s not enough for ANY team tactics, ANY useful training on the AR15 or shotgun, ANY advanced handgun skills. That’s just enough to be able to draw, shoot, and reholster safely. That’s all! Probably many cops are below that average, firing under a couple hundred rounds per year for their qualification, which btw is very easy.

I’m not LE but I do have a CCW and I train a lot more than that, including professional training classes, AR15 classes, occasional night shooting classes, etc. That’s way beyond what ordinary cops do for training, although it’s a big step below what SWAT does for training. Probably many people who have CCWs train more than average cops, because people with CCWs are often firearms enthusiasts. I would get professional training a couple times a month if I had time for it. I still would be far below a SWAT professional in ability level, of course.

If you look at cops who are in positions like SRO, probably 99% of them will never use a gun outside of training. Such cops just are not going to be interested in team tactics and building clearing training, and again, that’s totally ok… until suddenly it isn’t.

15 hours per year of firearms training… barely enough to maintain basic proficiency. and safe handling.

None of this excuses inaction in this case.

On another subject, this is a major reason why arming teachers is a terrible idea. If cops aren’t getting adequate firearms training because it’s not a major part of their job, teachers really are not going to. The only exception would be the very few teachers who are firearms enthusiasts and want to get lots of training. How many of those are there? Couldn’t be very many.

5 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

14 Likes

I mean… We KNOW why…

5 Likes

They tried. Parents were prevented from going in by the police.

17 Likes

Back on form at The Onion.

20 Likes

The Onion staff is just as furious as the rest of us.

17 Likes

Combining those two, I’m surprised there are no reports of parents involved in a shoot out with police.

1 Like

You keep trying to make this point, but this town has a SWAT team. They spend 40% of their budget on their cops.

16 Likes

That seems to be the logical endpoint to this madness; we won’t see any real action towards viable solutions until some asshole decides to go shoot up the Senate… or the NRA headquarters.

Hell, probably not even then

13 Likes

Conservatism can never fail, it can only be failed /s

7 Likes

Only when elite private schools suffer similar fates.

7 Likes