Facebook allows pro-Bloomberg posts from paid staffers, may change that now

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/21/facebook-allows-pro-bloomberg.html

3 Likes

3 Likes

I think its time we made any deceptions associated with political campaigns illegal. Consider the shit trump is pulling:

7 Likes

Ugh. I want to go back to the eighties. The future has turned out to suck in so, so many ways.

1 Like

The good news is that it seems like this Bloomberg problem will go away on its own pretty quickly

4 Likes

This overlap between editorial and advertising and propaganda started in the '80s

so you’ll have to go back farther than that

7 Likes

Serious question: what sites/apps do those of you who’ve quit Facebook use (if any) to stay connected? I deleted Facebook long ago but I’m still on Insta, I feel like that might have to go too. But I do find a lot of value in it, I keep up with a lot of sustainability and sobriety bloggers on there. I think I’m too old for TikTok.

2 Likes

Reddit and twitter. You can filter both to remove stuff you don’t want to see, and (at least as far as I know) they don’t have as many privacy/tracking concerns. You should easily be able to find plenty of sub-reddit groups on your topics of choice.

2 Likes

Ugh, I really want to delete Facebook, but there are several groups I frequent for meetups and stuff. Plus, all my family is there, and I don’t fancy trying to move them all to some other platform.

Oh, by the way, text MIKE to 80085! /s

2 Likes

Maybe all social media should be disabled during presidential campaigns - I’m sure there is probably one occurring somewhere in the world during any given month.

2 Likes

I am admittedly a huge introvert., which explains why I didn’t find it hard at all to delete my Facebook account and lose connectivity with my relatives. But I also figured if they want to talk to me, they’ve all got phones and my phone number. Or they can write a letter, it’s more personal anyway. :slight_smile: We all survived quite well before Facebook. The world won’t end if we ditch it now, and there are far better ways to stay in touch.

But do what feels best for you. If staying on Facebook brings you closer as a family, I’m sure the majority of us understand that. Just make sure you know what a shit show of a company they are, and take all measures you can to protect yourself and your data. I highly recommend looking into the Facebook Purity browser add on, it’ll really help you control your Facebook experience in ways that the company should (but won’t) take.

3 Likes

Second time today I’ve seen that Atlantic story linked, so I sighed & read it. Pretty scary stuff, kids!

If there is a wasp in the room, I want to know where it is: I don’t want to turn my back on it and forget it. I do keep in touch with my family with Facebook, but I think witnessing the shit show is important too. I still don’t understand how or why the world is the way it is, but I can’t hope to understand if I cut myself off, nice though it might be.

1 Like

I think I might try reddit, I know there’s a lot of sustainability groups on there that are active. I mostly need places to ask questions about recycling and composting and such.

1 Like

Are they going to do the same for Trump? No? Don’t care then.

The Russian troll farms will remain unaffected by this. :roll_eyes:

Reagan is president. We’re doing Iran-Contra. Everyone is wearing stroke inducing colors. AIDS has us all scared out of our wits and friends are dropping all around us. Unemployment in the US is high and me too is just a distant thing so it’s a great time to be a man, I guess.

No thanks.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.