Facebook expects up to $5 billion FTC fine over privacy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/24/facebook-expects-up-to-5-bill.html

$5 billion is about one month’s revenue for Facebook.

5 Likes

2-Jerry-Maguire-quotes

10 Likes

12 Likes

Mark Zuckerberg walks into FTC headquarters, passes a leather briefcase across the table.
Zuckerberg: “So we’re good?”

11 Likes

No sympathy, but even $5B is chump change when compared to their yearly revenue stream.

11 Likes

Try “roots around in his pockets for a few seconds”.

5 Likes

10 Likes

/grumpycatgood

3 Likes

How about…they have to give $5billion to fund a non-profit foundation chartered to operate a non-profit distributed social network.

8 Likes

what is that … $17.00 per US resident ? And the average US facebook account makes facebook average ~$200/year ?

weird.

4 Likes

Where did you get that figure?

1 Like

The $5 Billion fine amounts to a month’s revenue? Well then.

I’m still waiting for a FB alternative ]:

3 Likes

When you crunch the numbers, Hogan said, the average American Facebook user is worth about $200 a year.

Note that the point of the article is the high dollar variability in profile value.

4 Likes

OK, I kinda thought that’s how someone had probably done the math. That’s pretty sloppy. I would be shocked if the “average” American Facebook profile made them $200/year (note that “average” itself can mean several things, and the way the article does the math is in some ways least like how things really work, in a way most humans would relate to).

But then again, I’m sure I make a lot of ad impressions per year on FB, even if I have mostly blocked out (mentally) internet advertisements. I do not use an ad-blocker, because until a few days ago I’ve been in the M&E space for many years, and you know.

Just look at online ad CPMs, and see if that makes any sense.

3 Likes

How about they give 5 billion to MySpace just for spite and irony?

4 Likes

Facebook reaches into its jeans pocket and pulls out $3Billion in loose change, some lint, and a used battery.

“Here ya go little buddy. Let’s call it a compromise and I won’t do it again, promise.”

Facebook laughs maniacally as it walks away.

4 Likes

… casts loose change contemptuously across the tabletop, then stalks out as the FTC goes down onto hands and knees.

3 Likes

Well, naturally. by taking a 5 billion dollar hit they’ve proven their willingness to create “value” at the expense of human beings. That’s kinda like eating a dog turd to get into a frat.

4 Likes

So it’s less like a fine, and more like a tithe. Written off as the cost of doing business the way they want to do business.

I hope if the day comes when they hand over the check, they wink and tap their nose.

paul_newman

3 Likes

Fines are a (tax deductible!) cost of doing business.

Prison time for C-suite execs, or nothing changes.

6 Likes