Facebook morphs into a clickhole, at the expense of personal sharing

Same. Facebook Purity browser extension helps a lot with what you see, including restoring the chronological timeline and hiding garbage, but isn’t motivation to participate more.

This is it. Also when meeting new people, a lot better than trading phone #s. It reveals your social media history to someone you just met, but allows you to see theirs as well.

2 Likes

I tried to sign up for FB once, but never received the confirmation email and never pursued it. I don’t think I’m missing much. If I did try to sign up again, I would pay good money for the ‘only show original content’ app; the Drumpfinator for FB!

I’m not so sure that’s true anymore, although of course it depends on your business and acquaintances. When I first left Facebook, hardly anyone had. Now I know several people who have, and maybe 5x more who just use it to keep track of family members.

I missed out on knowing a “friend” was getting divorced and another “friend” had cancer. Then they said “how did you not know? I posted all about it on Facebook! How did you not see that?” I couldn’t claim I don’t go on Facebook because I post 1-2x a week. And couldn’t tell them I hid them. Awkward. Best thing to do is not have an account.

6 Likes

Some other sites, such as YouTube and eBay could use these also - services which purport to provide a service for the average person, which have been more or less completely subverted to being skewed to favor big companies.

I strongly disagree. The reason why FB needs all that cash is precisely because they run it as a walled garden. Most other social media platforms use the same approach, only less successfully.

The solution I think is to instead develop a robust social media protocol, which anybody can use. Not unlike html or torrent. This is why the internet took off in the first place - because it was a way out of the GEnie/Prodigy/CompuServe ghetto. The biggest phone book in the world would only get bigger if it wasn’t tied to FB and the corporate culture of the “elite” minority.

2 Likes

you won my internet for the day

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.