Facebook stock plummets 8%, wiping out $50 billion in market value

I do hang out here and in the Jezebel comments, but yeah I was thinking more for people I know in real life, esp. people who live far away. Insta is really good for that (and I am in my late 30s and none of my relatives younger than me have Facebook, for what its worth. IDK if they ever did).

I’m also old enough to have done all of this before and know none of these stay popular forever. We’ve gone from AOL chat rooms/AIM/ICQ to Livejournal to Myspace to Facebook. We’re just like herd animals.

1 Like

That’s why I never disable my adblocker. If I get regular use out of a site that has a donate button I’ll occasionally throw some cash to offset, but you’ll have to pry uBlock Origin from my cold, dead hands.

I remember when Firefox had that extensions meltdown (last year?) where all the extensions stopped working for a couple of days (expired certificates or something), and one commenter somewhere who’d been forced to browse an ad-riddled web without a blocker for the first time in years said “how do people live like this?!?”

3 Likes

If I understand it correctly, they don’t work the same way, ublock prevent facebook (and other social media) scripts from running on third-party websites, while the containers create a separate environment for cookies, etc. like you were running a different instance of the web browser, and the different containers cannot communicate with each other (I guess they cannot even see each other).

I prefer the general container add-on, because it is not hard to configure it to run exactly like the facebook container add-on, and you can easily extend it to other websites.
Another great add-on to combine with it is Temporary Containers, which create disposable containers for each different website you open, and then even if you don’t know about how two sites trackers might interact, it just isolate everything automatically.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.