Facebook warns investors to expect bigger and worse scandals than Cambridge Analytica

Damn! wish I’d thought of that!

1 Like

Someone should really make a correlation destroying bot for this. Make Facebook spend all of its money learning a uniform distribution.

3 Likes

If someone ever publishes Flossaluzitarin’s source code…

5 Likes

Although it’s only indirectly leading to people being killed, probably unlike some other uses of Facebook data…

1 Like

1 Like

I have to ask, wha is that?

3 Likes

A Soviet Russia retort.

2 Likes

It is some sort of retort, I know not what sort of retort, but I hope that this is the retort you sought.

(You said “witty”, so I just selected the most phallic piece of chemical glassware I could find on Google Images. Penis jokes, they’re witty, aren’t they?)

4 Likes

I want to know more about Peter Thiel and Palantir’s role in all this

Whistleblower Christoper Wylie stated in March that Cambridge Analytica, a political consultancy, had worked with Palantir.

Palantir claims they don’t work on elections, but really?

In March a former computer engineer for Cambridge Analytica,…, testified in the British Parliament that a Palantir employee had helped Cambridge Analytica use the personal data of up to 87 million Facebook users to develop psychographic profiles of individual voters

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-palantir-peter-thiel/

Can you believe a company that goes to such lengths to avoid telling the truth?

In fact, key city council members and attorneys contacted by The Verge had no idea that the city had any sort of relationship with Palantir, nor were they aware that Palantir used its program in New Orleans to market its services to another law enforcement agency for a multimillion-dollar contract.

Peter Thiel donated at least $1.25M USD to the TRUMP. He’s on Facebook’s Board. It is implausible that Palantir had clean hands in this mess.

3 Likes

I’d love to see the notes from the meeting when they chose their corporate name. Is it ironic?

4 Likes

Not ironic. The original name, “Lord Darth’s House of Sleuth” made the web adress too long on the business cards. True story.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/08/14/agent-of-intelligence-how-a-deviant-philosopher-built-palantir-a-cia-funded-data-mining-juggernaut/#575b8a087785

1 Like

It’s not just Palantir, it’s their clients and what they do for them.

Palantir Gotham is used by counter-terrorism analysts at offices in the United States Intelligence Community and United States Department of Defense, fraud investigators at the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, and cyber analysts at Information Warfare Monitor (responsible for the GhostNet and the Shadow Network investigation).

Other clients as of 2013 included DHS, NSA, FBI, CDC, the Marine Corps, the Air Force, Special Operations Command, West Point, the Joint IED Defeat Organization and Allies. However, at the time the United States Army continued to use its own data analysis tool.[28] Also, according to TechCrunch, “The U.S. spy agencies also employed Palantir to connect databases across departments. Before this, most of the databases used by the CIA and FBI were siloed, forcing users to search each database individually. Now everything is linked together using Palantir.”[28]

At least one of those clients is going to say “Hey! Pull in Facebook and hook it in too, because!”

Once that’s done, what access does Palantir have to that? Direct access, a guest account, a copy that a Palantir tech took back for development, debugging …?

2 Likes

But his solitude is disturbed
somewhat by “Mike,” an ex-Marine–silent, 6 foot
1, 270 pounds of mostly pectoral muscle

That text wrapping made me do a double-take. (I’d be disturbed too.)

1 Like

I follow every bb post about Facebook with great interest, and agree with deleting accounts (whenever possible).

My hope is to someday convince my wife to ditch Facebook, but she’s pretty entrenched. I have an account that I need to keep for my day job, but I almost never post anything. When I do, it’s pretty inane. I was at my most social back when IRC and BBSs were the thing.

And yet: https://www.facebook.com/boingboing

I know I’m not the first to point that out (since I also read through the comments). What I have never seen is a reason given by the powers that be for keeping an active Boing Boing Facebook account.

Is it an expectation that some of this info will cross the eyes of the unaware and convince them to abandon FB? Like digging in behind enemy lines, sowing the seeds of havoc. Plus: 747,831 people follow this. That’s a lot of seeds.

Or is it a case of “do as I say, not as I do”? Like the posts ranting about the insecurity of IoT products, followed at some point by a BB gadget suggestion for an IoT product.

Third option/thought: “It’s complicated.”

Still not disappointed in bb…

2 Likes

Thanks for the witty retort. I guess I should have asked for a “pithy retort."

2 Likes

My guess is that it’s a honeytrap and keeps the more noxious comments over on FB, where they belong – with those of your relatives, your high school chums who were badass punks back then and Trump voters now, etc. Or maybe not so much a honeytrap, but a ■■■■■ festering turd, which also attracts noxious insects.

2 Likes

No, see, I heard it in an interview with a FB exec. They just sell some ads instead of charging you. Like Masters of the Universe. You don’t hate Masters of the Universe, do you?

With a vengeance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.