Facebook's "Free Basics" and colonialism: an argument in six devastating points

For the same reason I don’t use email with family and friends when I’ve been drinking (…anymore… :-\ ) people with a temper or who are power-mad shouldn’t use services like Twitter, umm, ever…

We are dealing with a tantrum of global proportions, because the future of FB is more tied to this then they would have you believe. A lot of smaller countries trust India, their kind of big brother in the developing world. Not only that, FB’s bullsh!t is now more transparent than ever. Also note what is going on in more enlightened European countries too.

Facebook pushed hard on this for a good reason…it is super-important to them. And Andreeson knows this and became emotionally tied to…to money! The root of all evil.

Oh, come on, facebook LIKES me!

They even made a video of my year in retrospect for me and invited me to share it. They remind me of anniversaries of random posts.
To paraphrase Douglas Adams, facebook is my “software pal who’s fun to be with!”

A ploy? How dare you, sir, how DARE you!

/s

4 Likes

Have you ever heard of a country called India?

2 Likes

Thats the one next to outdia right?

This line of thinking would carry more weight if the immigrants that the right despise so much also happened to be executives from international corporations worth billions of dollars. Alas, they just seem to be the same caste of poor people that they ignore everywhere else, too.

4 Likes

You don’t even know what “ad hominem” means. It means attacking a person rather than an argument they are making. They are describing behaviour, not refuting an argument.

Read a book.

4 Likes

The Left vs. the Right, eh? This sounds like a fruitful line of thinking.

2 Likes

Yes, I was thinking that this list describes well what’s happening in the U.S. too. What’s it called when what amount to colonial processes also happen within the seat of empire?

1. ride in like the savior
  1. bandy about words like equality, democracy, basic rights
  1. mask the long-term profit motive (see 2 above)
  1. justify the logic of partial dissemination as better than nothing
  1. partner with local elites and vested interests
  1. accuse the critics of ingratitude

That’s happening perhaps most blatantly in Michigan, but also in Wisconsin, Illinois and other states. Republican governors get elected on anti-gov platforms and proceed to work with other greedy business men to degrade and dismantle public institutions and services, all in the name of “cutting government waste” and “saving taxes.” And all for the supposed, Orwellian sake of yes, “equality, democracy and basic rights.” And Democrats like Obama and the Clintons seem pretty much okay with it all; they’ll get theirs, so screw the rest of us.

1 Like

I think between Iraq and Iran, you will find most Americans are firmly opposed against hit-and-runs.

How exactly is a jerky two-second GIF better than a static image?

2 Likes

Maybe A-B testing shown that if it dances and moves and blinks, people are more likely to click on it. Would explain a lot.

Fuck Facebook and their balkanized, walled garden, Internet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.