CBC's longstanding tech columnist condemns the broadcaster's cozy relationship with Facebook

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/22/danegelded.html

4 Likes

Why does bOINGbOING continue to engage in commercial relationships with Facebook, now that it’s clear to us that Facebook is a threat to democracy, and bOINGbOING, as anti-fascist, should be strengthening democracy?

(I know it’s already been asked and answered in the past, but since you brought it up, maybe it bears repeating.)

6 Likes

JH: Right? And – and that, to me, is – is the hypocrisy of our reporting on Facebook, that we talk about it, but, as a company, we do nothing.

Almost everyone is guilty of this hypocrisy. Just talking to random people about it, they’ll say they know it’s bad, but everyone else is on there so they don’t want to leave.

And why am I hearing ads for Amazon Echo on CBC’s As It Happens?

1 Like

I complained to the CBC Ombudsman once. All they did was tell me my concerns had been forwarded to the producers of the program.

On the plus side, at least CBC sites don’t use Facebook to handle article comments.

4 Likes

and then we see this type of activity still https://globalnews.ca/news/4687568/south-sudan-child-bride-auction-facebook/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3qgs0ICMSY25fwZt9tvQW6qFLsc7Cukj8Xughojv6CVyQ09OX-vbpOsLk

I left Facebook in March. The scandal that broke that month was the last straw for me. It’s a pity more individuals and corporations don’t speak up with the same kind of move. We really don’t need Facebook - we have email and websites and blogs, after all - but Facebook sure needs us if it wants to survive…

LOL, look at all that FB tracking shit in your low-effort blind link.

1 Like

it was indeed a link from the ol FB glad you liked the intended irony!

For reference, here’s a BB moderator’s response:

it’s a tricky question, one that rests in large part on the fact that Facebook enjoys semi-monopoly status in the social media/social marketing space and that the U.S. government seems uninterested in making any changes to its anti-trust approach that might reduce FB’s power to exploit its users/products and encourage its executives to be more responsible in policing the content that appears on its platform.

That’s not to say that’s the only solution. High-traffic and trusted media sites or outlets like CBC or BoingBoing are capable of setting up instances of decentralised and FOSS social media platforms like Mastadon or Diaspora or apps built on Tim Berners Lee’s Solid framework, and could potentially bring hundreds of thousands of motivated, tech-savvy users to them – users who are the typical “early adopters” for any new platform or app.

It would be more work for the IT staffs of those outlets, no doubt, and it wouldn’t instantly eliminate their dependence on FB and Twitter, and it would have to work in conjunctions with government anti-trust efforts, but I do agree that if media outlets are sincere in their desire to escape the clutches of these horrible, destructive and feckless platforms they have to start running and promoting decentralised alternatives sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

And NPR? It makes me nuts.

I don’t listen to NPR. I live in Germany so most of my US/Canadian listening is podcasts, and NPR just makes it difficult. I would listen to All Things Considered and Morning Edition, but you can’t download the whole show as a podcast. And their app is just awful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.