Facebook's spam filter blocked the most popular articles about its 50m user breach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/29/when-outliers-attack.html

giphy|nullxnull

6 Likes

There’s no reason to think that Facebook intentionally suppressed embarrassing news about its own business.

There’s no reason to think they didn’t, either.

2 Likes

Wait, what?

When news broke yesterday that Facebook had suffered a breach affecting at least 50,000,000 stories…

Should that be 50 million people?

3 Likes

Industrialized mass production requires a market to buy its output. If mass produced socializing is what they have to sell, then by God, we are going to buy it!

I first noticed this when OK Cupid would robotically ‘flirt’ on my behalf. It made me feel like Jon Henry and the steam hammer.

1 Like

I don’t get the theory - in my experience spam is not something that everyone sends, spam is something that a few accounts with not much other verified traffic sends to everyone. What, in the architecture of Facebook or other details that I am unaware of, would cause this logic to flip?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.