Facebook: 50 million users’ personal information exposed in mega breach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/28/facebook-50-million-hacked.html

2 Likes

@xeni, “Read the Rest” takes me back to the BB post. I don’t think that’s what you intended.

EDIT: Same for the NYT link.

3 Likes

Facebook Network Breach Affects Up to 50 Million Users

4 Likes

Still using Fbook? You’re not paying attention.

#deletefacefuckingbook

10 Likes

Hey, they’re just moving fast. Things break. Like the limits on access to all that personal information about you and your family and the people you know. No biggie, right? It’s only criminals and Russian operatives and Nigerian scammers who now know your mother’s maiden name and where you went to school and what your kids look like and which candidates you support.

But of course, only a tiny fraction of those affected will delete this malware from their lives because how on Earth can a person live without social media?

5 Likes

“Facebook later downplayed the breach, saying that of the 50 million compromised accounts, at least 48 million appeared to have names like Fяed Patяiotik-Ameяikan, leading to suspicion that they might not represent real users.”

2 Likes

angusm

11m

“Facebook later downplayed the breach, saying that of the 50 million compromised accounts, at least 48 million appeared to have names like Fяed Patяiotik-Ameяikan, leading to suspicion that they might not represent real users.”

Blockquote

So, 48 million fake users?

…you have to have a facebook account to see I spose

6 Likes

Meh - Sheeple are stupid, they won’t care, and they won’t do anything different.

1 Like

I see that you still have not made any spelling errors in

Carry on!

5 Likes
1 Like

Those hackers are gonna be embarrassed when they go to sell that data and no one’s buying because they already have it all.

3 Likes

Fifty million is of course just a number PR pulled out of its ass. Then once the story is old news, they will admit that the actual number is much higher. That’s how Facebook handles news of security breaches, every time.

2 Likes

Man, I hope they dox the hell out of Zuckerberg. For great justice!

2 Likes
1 Like

ROGER THAT!

For the record, ShitBook - not even once.

2 Likes

The one and only thing I admire about the People’s Republic of China is that sometimes they execute billionaires.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.