FaceTime bug lets you hear or see through someone else’s iPhone, even if they haven’t answered

I don’t really like talking to other people at all so I’m cool.

Yes, my divorced pal uses it weekly to check in with the kids while they’re in the other parent’s custody. It’s very important to all of them.

2 Likes

Doesn’t this whole thing seem like an episode of Dilbert?

1 Like

Oh come on, not that serious.

I would infer you were Amish except you somehow posted your comment using a computer you probably don’t have ANY NEED WHATSOEVER for either, according to Maslow’s hierarchy.

I’m sure they appreciate your advice, grandfather.

I’m from the same cohort as you, towards the beginning of it. I use all that stuff. It may surprise you and others (I’m looking at you, @bobtato) to learn that just because you don’t have a practical use for it, does not imply nobody in the whole entire world does. I could elucidate, but it wouldn’t make any difference anyway, would it?

(But OK, in the unlikely event you actually want to know, a hint is to consider communication with, and particularly between, the quite young and the quite old.)

2 Likes

So a teenager & Apple knew about the exploit for a week but that still doesn’t give a timeline on when Apple was able to nerf the exploit without shutting down all FaceTime.

How long did it take Apple to to determine that turning off Group Messaging would nerf it? Was Group Messaging able to be turned off without impacting all FaceTime or did it take some dev time to implement it? All unknowns.

I’ll repeat that even if only the teenager & Apple were aware of the exploit, Apple should have shut down group messaging as soon as they could do so without impacting all FaceTime. The lawsuit filed by a lawyer against Apple that claims that the bug was used to spy on him might give further insight, but then it may just be another bottom feeding lawyer that hopes that Apple will prefer paying him off – even if his claims of tort are false.

I can’t imagine why, since my post was specifically about how I know a bunch of people who like to use Facetime.

…along with the mounted cameras on top of your PC.
I never did get one .
I thought the whole point of communicating
Was to AVOID seeing people in person .

1 Like

Yeah, but it was 100% extra-virgin patronizing eyerolls, without even a whiff of “maybe these people are different from me without being morons”.

Ok. If you say so.

Then Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet will be going away to be replaced with Meet Chat Wave Reader Plus.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.