Facing life in prison, Manning apologizes for "hurt" inflicted on U.S., supporters say leaks benefited America

No doubt, however none of the protests are “huge” or even very big (in the U.S., at least). I’m generally optimistic about the increasing liberalization of the U.S., but, like you said, Manning isn’t the royal baby. Also in 2-3 years, a majority of self-described liberals in the U.S. will like throw their passionate support behind a woman who has been on exactly the wrong (conservative) side of the Manning/Snowden/foreign policy in general issue(s) (among many others).

So, while I’m generally optimistic, tribal partisanship usually keeps a lid on that.

1 Like

No doubt, however none of the protests are “huge” or even very big (in the U.S., at least).

Like I said, it’s hard to quantify exact numbers. When the mainstream media ignores protests, there’s not going to be much of an accounting. For example, it was later found that millions of people worldwide and in the United States protested the Iraq war in massive marches, but many Americans didn’t have a clue because the mainstream media glossed over it as it was happening.

Despite a mainstream media blackout on most of Manning’s case, protests with thousands of protesters have happened in the USA and throughout the world. Are there more protests outside of the USA? I would think so because their media isn’t shilling as much for the corrupt American military-industrial complex run by these guys.

Like I said, the fact that so many Americans are protesting despite the very concerted mainstream media effort to keep this trial quiet during most of it, is nothing to sneeze at.

the increasing liberalization of the U.S.

Um, what? Yes, in some regards. But, overall… many Democrats (in office) are the new Republicans on everything except gay marriage (and even then it’s only been public pressure that made them bend on that).

So, while I’m generally optimistic, tribal partisanship usually keeps a lid on that.

I fear there’ll be a knee-jerk backlash by many on “the left” against the Obama administration in the next election that will lead us down the same disastrous path we’ve gone in the past that led to two GW Bush terms with a mostly rubber stamp congress in tow.

“The left” may very well once again vote in a greater evil by not voting at all and/or throwing away their votes thereby ushering in an even worse unmitigated disaster.

We’ve already been set back by decades for allowing GW Bush to take office. Gore was far from perfect, but he would have at least listened to Clinton admin Intelligence likely thwarting the Trade Center & Pentagon hijacking attacks. No WMD fiasco. No senseless, multi-trilliion-dollar Iraq war based upon lies that helped to kill our soldiers, our economy (except for the 0.01 percent) and destabilize the middle east. Gore was pushing for single payer health care. Gore would have confronted climate change. Gore doesn’t have the intelligence of a gnat. It’s maddening to think how much better off we’d be today if the American public hadn’t been idiots and ushered in the reign of terror that was the Bush administration.

Look, no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. That’s why corporatists have been allowed to consolidate the media (in their favor), our Internet access (in their favor), the corporations (in their favor) and infested our government (in their favor). They didn’t fight for these things, the American public rolled over like subservient dogs and let them.

Even so, am I optimistic? A little bit. But I’m fairly tenacious and a little nuts.

I should have been clearer that I’m optimistic about cultural liberalization, more than any other kinds.

And I think we’re well off-topic here, but I’m not convinced that Gore would have been that much different from Bush, considering how similar Obama has turned out to be (you can’t judge a President on what they said or did before they were President, it would seem). I also think that the reasons that many Democrats “are the new Republicans,” is that liberals have assured them that no matter how Republican they act, as long as they’re afraid Republicans will be worse, they’ll vote Democratic.

Anyway, I’m a little nuts, too, but after twenty five years of being a political junkie, I think I’m out of tenaciousness and am weening myself off the subject until I’m completely clean. Maybe there’s a 12-step program…

And I think we’re well off-topic here, but I’m not convinced that Gore would have been that much different from Bush, considering how similar Obama has turned out to be

Not much different than Bush? Reality doesn’t support your hollow conjecture whatsoever.

• Gore took a relatively early and very concerted action on climate change even while being relentlessly mocked by a moronic chunk of the American public. And, he still gets mindlessly mocked even to this day.

• Gore supported a single payer system even while being relentlessly mocked by a moronic chunk of the American public. He did this to his own detriment because at the time most of the American public wasn’t as educated and supportive of a single payer system for health care as they were when Obama pandered to it. Much less like Bush who actively helped other Republicans to work against it.

• There’s no way in HELL Gore would have ignored Richard Clark’s warnings and everyone else from the previous Clinton administration. You don’t think things might be a “tad” better now if we never entered a war based upon lies?

• Gore was against the Iraq War at a time when most Americans were blindly allowing the mass media to cheer everyone into it.

• Gore came out against NSA spying very early and at a time when many Democrats and even more Republicans were still supporting it and he’s been against warrantless wiretapping even much longer. Bush to this day vociferously supports all of the above.

• Gore supported the technology sector along with more sustainable energy at a time when most Americans were still picking their ass. But, Bush? Are you kidding? Go eat a bunch of swordfish and let me know how great you feel after all the mercury slows you down, m’kay?

Look, I’ll just stop here, saying that two Gore terms wouldn’t have been much different from two Bush terms just insults my intelligence. I never said Gore was perfect, but comparing him to Bush is ridiculous.

You’re just throwing out the baby with the bathwater because you’re angry with Obama. And, sadly proving the point of my post you were responding to. More evidence America needs far more coursework in critical thinking before we ever move forward in any significant manner… sheesh…

I could make a bullet-point list of everything Obama said and did before he was President that would have predicted a Presidency very, very different from the one he’s actually had.

My political conclusions are hardly based on my being “angry with Obama,” but rather on twenty five years of observation and study of politics current and historical. They are different from the conclusions of other people with similar backgrounds, but that’s just a difference of opinion. I would never condescend to the point of claiming the difference in opinion must be due to their lack of “critical thinking,” even if their argument was as specious as “if only that one conservative Democrat had been elected that time, things would be so much different now.”

But we’re off topic and I tend to become uninterested in conversations with folks who can’t disagree without being condescending, so I’m done.

Gore is also for nuclear power, along with the founder of Greenpeace.

My political conclusions are hardly based on my being “angry with Obama,” but rather on twenty five years of observation and study of politics current and historical.

Yet, you haven’t managed to lift a finger to back up your ridiculous supposition that two Gore administrations would have been similar to two GW Bush administrations.

I’m just supposed to take your word on it? No thanks. It doesn’t work that way.

I could make a bullet-point list of everything Obama said and did before he was President that would have predicted a Presidency

No you couldn’t. While Gore has been full of shit and flip-flopped like many politicians have, he also had a consistent track record of following through on many of his policy recommendations. Everything from arms control to climate change. Obama DID NOT before he was elected. Why on Earth do you continue to push a false equivalency of the two? What is your EVIDENCE of this?

Don’t forget, I call Gore a lesser evil than GW Bush. Gore’s track record is shitty, but it’s ridiculous to compare him to GW Bush:

• Gore on renditions is shitty, but certainly not a greater evil than Reagan and most Republicans by a long shot and Bush/Cheney took torture to an entirely different level by mainstreaming torture by U.S. soldiers. Not the same thing unless we, once again, delve into false equivalence. Obama’s embrace of some of Bush’s policies isn’t by a long shot a good comparison to Gore’s track record which only consists of support of renditions (in a memoir from Richard Clarke) in certain cases.

• Al Gore was known to engage with and listen to Richard Clarke who warned of inevitable hijacking attempts before the Trade Center/Pentagon attacks, but was blatantly ignored by the GW Bush admin who was known to be absolutely obtuse towards Clarke and other Clinton Intelligence officials. You really have to be dense to compare them there with yet another false equivalence. It’s incredibly likely that Gore would have taken pre-emptive security actions based upon solid intelligence to thwart hijackings in general. Bush was obtuse, sat on his fucking hands and literally went on vacation instead.

• If you go way back on gay rights, Gore sucked. But then you’d have to ignore that while in office he later supported the 1998 executive order banning sexual-orientation discrimination in federal civilian jobs, etc. and other things that set him far apart from the greater evil Republicans including Bush unless, once again, you want to embrace yet another false equivalence.

• On the drug war Gore was much less evil than Republicans and even broke with Clinton during office on Medical Marijuana. To compare Gore to Bush or Obama who both ramped up the war on drugs to ridiculous extremes is yet another ridiculous false equivalence on your part.

• Gore’s vote on the Gulf War just plain sucked, but was still a lot less hawkish, lesser evil than Republicans if one is seated in reality.

• The clipper chip was a shit idea, but one that at least required a warrant which is a much lesser evil than warrantless wiretapping, but I guess you could go with another false equivalence if you’d like.

• Gore’s support of technology. While Gore was busy helping to fund and promote our technology center and spreading access, the GW Bush administration spent much of its time protecting consolidated monopolies that hurt innovation while blustering and spreading the lie that Gore said he “invented” the Internet.

• Music lyrics labeling. Yep, Gore supported that, but you really think that was worse than when GW Bush decided to very actively outright CENSOR climate science and political activists?

• Enviromment … you REALLY want to compare his track record there to Bush?? Or Obama? Are you insane?

Also, you keep leaving out things that Obama has tried to do that has been repeatedly blocked by Republicans. And, guess who they are? The greater evil.

The lesser evil that Gore has done doesn’t cancel out his other policies of greater good on the environment, support for single payer at a time when the public was too ignorant to support him on it and the FACT that he was still a lesser evil than the Republicans were on many, many issues.

What EVIDENCE do you have that Gore in 2000 would be just like an entirely different politician who was elected into office about a decade later after two far right-wing presidential administrations with a mostly conservative, rubber stamp congress in tow during the bulk of the time? Or, once again, are you unable lift a finger on this?

Look, your disappointment with Obama is palpable and understandable. But, it’s infantile to throw out the baby with the bathwater because he’s made you angry.

When many others were jumping for joy when Obama was elected, there were others that knew he was a lesser evil and nothing more than that. Even before Obama was elected, some of us said this:

http://boingboing.net/2008/06/24/obamas-support-for-t.html#comment-229153987?
(scroll up to 06/24/2008 04:29 PM if Discus craps out on the link)

You see, just like Gore, I never had any allusions about Obama in the first place. I admit that I had cautiously hoped that he’d be a second term trojan (in some regards) for various reasons, but he’s blown that miserably except in a few circumstances with tepid support for gay rights, health care and such. Still, much better than anything McCain/Palin or Romney/Ryan would have done, to say the least.

But, once again, I never had any illusions in the first place because I knew that the American public had already screwed themselves by allowing our country to go so far backwards by voting in two disastrous GW Bush terms with a disastrous rubber stamp, conservative congress to back his disastrous agenda. It’s a fucking disaster. You don’t go from a literal disaster to utopia in 5 years, sorry.

Your ridiculous, baseless supposition that two Gore administrations would have been very much the same as the two GW Bush administrations isn’t seated in reality and only serves to keep us all down.

It’s going to take decades to clean up this mess and that’s ONLY if the American public finally pulls its head out of its ass and finally stops falling for false equivalence ignorance and spin. Whether it’s false equivalence spin between the Republican party and the Democratic party or your inane comparison of Obama to Gore in 2000, it just causes us all to spin our wheels and go nowhere but down.

How about complaining about consistently voting in lesser evils over time once we’ve actually tried it? Obama after two disastrous GW Bush terms with many conservative voted into Congress, etc. doesn’t cut it by a long shot.

Your false equivalency mentality hasn’t worked at all and, once again, these guys absolutely LOVE it when you do that. It’s why they actively support false equivalence and half-truths with their power in the media and with their “think tanks”… and here you are, like too may others… falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Gore is also for nuclear power, along with the founder of Greenpeace.

First of all, Gore has had an evolving point of view on nuclear power as facts, times (and technology) has changed.

Secondly, you just spoke a half-truth. Gore says that nuclear power will only play a limited role because of its “absurdly high” cost. Also, if you look at Gore’s policy track record, he’s pushed for more sustainable energy than nearly any other politician in his various positions of power.

Thirdly, (and most importantly to the relevance of this discussion and my post) that still does not make him a greater evil than Bush, nor Obama by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to environmental policy unless one wants to delve into the ridiculous undertaking of false equivalencies and half-truths.

I don’t feel the proliferation of bold is making your points any more clear. It does make your posts look a bit like those of a crank, which is probably not what you want.

I’m sorry, but I believe in nuclear power, even if you don’t. And, I also believe that it can be made safe, as the French operate it. That does not mean I disagree with you about Gore, though; I think that you’re right.

I use it for emphasis and I like it.

You may not like it, but it’s my own phonetic writing style and it works for me. But, anyway, if you’d like to continue to focus more on my writing style than the substance of my posts, I kind of think it makes you (on the udder hand) appear like a pedantic crank to me. :dancer:

Hey, I’ll take some rabid bolding over someone else who continue to makes ridiculous claims that they also refuse to back up any day…

Also, keep in mind, people that try to play down the damage that the fucking Bush administration did to this country tend to send me into a rage. Bolding will happen. Just picture every bold as a quick smack against their head as I’m talking. It probably doesn’t help them understand, but it makes me feel better. :smiley:

Nonetheless, I’ll take your bolding non-proliferation advice into consideration for my future posts.

1 Like

If I could have offered to take his punishment for him, here’s what I’d have wanted him to say for me by way of apology. (enthusiastically and with style or it doesn’t count.)

"I’m really sorry that I had to do the job that you all are amazed nobody else did. I’m also sorry I let the government torture me while I was imprisoned. I really do apologize for telling the truth. And most of all, I am sorry that I probably managed to shine a spotlight on a place where horrible abuses were happening and likely prevented others from suffering or dying needlessly.

Seriously, you’re being dicks. This guy’s got more balls than you, and the world’s full of billions just as willing to take HIS place if not more so. And we might just have helped you tip them over the edge"

drops mic and walks offstage

(Edited to add awesomeness)

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I believe in nuclear power, even if you don’t.

Strange belief system, but good for you. ;D

And, I also believe that it can be made safe, as the French operate it.

I think you should put “safe” in quotes, but anyway…

France is going to ditch nuclear for wind because wind is less expensive. Don’t get me wrong, I think nuclear is better (overall) than using fossil fuels like coal, etc., but it’s way too expensive and certainly not as sustainable in the long run as responsible wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, etc. is.

That does not mean I disagree with you about Gore, though; I think that you’re right.

Ah, sorry for the mix-up. I apologize. I guess I’m so used to people using distraction as a fallacious argument tactic, that I get a bit jumpy.

aghast

What? You value people over governments? That’s madness I say! Madness!

Yet, I’m reminded of the words of one of my personal heroes, The Tick.

“You’re not going crazy! You’re going sane in a crazy world!”

Perhaps you are on to something, sir!

3 Likes

Excessive bolding makes your posts harder to read and interferes with the substance of what you are saying, just like picking a ransom note font would make something even as sublime as Letter from a Birmingham Jail unreadable.

1 Like

I didn’t use bold as excessively as you imply except in the disaster part of that post to make a point. I’m just sayin’. But as I already said, I’ll take your bolding non-proliferation advice into consideration for my future posts.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’m not alone when I say I find the bold font here a bit bloody OTT…

What’s wrong with the font that shows in the preview?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.