"fair and balanced" discussions

And, speaking as a straight white cis male, Yes!!! Preach on, amen!

9 Likes

I donā€™t imagine anyone is obligated to like or read my posts, be they long diatribes or short, pithy gif-based comments. Itā€™s quite easy to scroll post or put me on ignore.

14 Likes

When the moderator disagrees with you, itā€™s time to put down the shovel and stop digging

13 Likes

Not sure how you can twist ā€œsupporting the moderatorā€ into ā€œattack on me.ā€ Uncool.

16 Likes

image image

13 Likes

Surely youā€™re joking with this, right?

I pointed out above that the idea that everyone should be forced to read everyone elseā€™s comments often comes from a place where one has not experienced harassment. The reponses to my comment have been about that mindset and how it has - in some cases directly - affected other users here.

Youā€™ve decided to, what? Adopt that belief yourself and defend your right to discuss the topic independent of the implications your position has? And adopt the position that what - your position being outweighed by actual harassment and abuse is getting in the way of your conversation?

This isnā€™t a debate class. Real people lead real lives with real consequences here. This may well not be the forum for you if you are going to internalize discussions about how they are run and moderated, or worse, believe that ideas should be considered even after theyā€™ve been demonstrably shown to disadvantage vulnerable classes of people.

But I will say if you make that choice, that is a seriously weird hill to choose to die on.

24 Likes

Funny how speaking in general terms is igniting such personal responses.

18 Likes

14 Likes

8ae

11 Likes

dany-this

12 Likes

People should be able to ignore who they want, and no one is owed anyoneā€™s time.

The only casual worry I have with the ignore feature is a speculative one about ugly stuff not getting flagged when a theoretical user is broadly unpopular and ignored by a critical mass of regulars. I worry about the possibility that if a user could get themselves ignored by enough of the good-hearted, gold-hatted, and intelligent people here, they could then spend a week loading up super-hateful messages that donā€™t get flagged, because no one that flags sees them.

Maybe itā€™s a wonky worry, but I thought Iā€™d share it.

Short: If too many regulars all happen to ignore a problem case, who flags later toxic comments before a first-timer comes along and wonders what kind of BBS this is?

12 Likes

I think thatā€™s a possible valid concern, but one that I think that @orenwolf addressed above by noting that people who get tons of ignores get a closer look by the mods, because it could indicate a larger problem with the poster in general (patterns of harassing behaviors, etc).

And generally speaking abuse is really not tolerated, ignored or not.

21 Likes

At that point the mod is going to be alerted that the user in question needs a closer look.

[jinx Mindysan!]

8 Likes

@orenwolf pretty much addressed that when he mentioned ā€œyou underestimate the number of posters here.ā€ As well as the relative rarity of usage of the ignore feature. The theoretical possibility certainly exists, but if that is the compromise for a more peaceful and respectful, less derailed forum, I for one am in favor. (Not that it was a vote of course.)

18 Likes

I think there are enough of us who donā€™t use Ignore to prevent that scenario. I donā€™t use it (though I have been tempted to) in part because of that scenario.

(Itā€™s also because I donā€™t want to miss out on bits of the conversation, no matter how annoying. But Iā€™m kinda nosy that way. :wink: )

14 Likes

That is my fear. Iā€™m not particularly bright aside from humor and that still might count on the dim side of the brightness slider.

+. . . . . . . . . . . . |. . .-

like right there maybe ?

I get some level of social interaction emotional buzz fulfillment here though, sad or otherwise, from my fart-adjacent humor and the occasional bit of words. I feel a bit threaten by the ignore feature.

3 Likes

Mehā€¦ being long winded really isnā€™t any indication of smarts, Iā€™d argue. Smarts are generally speaking, contextual anyway. Plenty of folks in the world have high IQs and a collection of advanced degrees but couldnā€™t really think their way out of a paper bag when push comes to shove.

And I enjoy the weird and humorous as much as the deep philosophical dives into the seas of the meta.

The way I feel about it, if someone doesnā€™t enjoy interact with me here, then they can ignore me. I only have a couple folks on ignore, for precisely that reason - I donā€™t enjoy discussions with them. There are plenty of people who I regularly disagree with on a number of issues, but I wonā€™t ignore them for that.

Weā€™re not all going to agree with all things all the time, and I think we recognize that. But there is no reason to have to ā€œlistenā€ to people who are being rude, condescending, or what have you, I think. I donā€™t believe that to describe you, at all, at least not from my perspectiveā€¦

16 Likes

Youā€™re right, itā€™s a good environment. And if thereā€™s a way that multiple ignores get flagged, thatā€™s great. I didnā€™t remember that, so thanks everyone for letting me know.

It was just a theoretical worry about a fringe possibility, in any case.

10 Likes

Like I said, I do think itā€™s a valid concern. But it does seem like the mods have that in mind with regards to how ignore works in the real world.

I think all our goals should be a safer, more inclusive place over all. People who harass others or post toxic comments are doing neither of those and should be dealt with even if they are being ignored (or doubly so, if they are being ignored).

9 Likes

Why?

Unless youā€™re incredibly upsetting to the community, itā€™s doubtful many, if any, people will ignore you.

What @Mindysan33 is referring to is a revived pattern of flagging posts that are using mostly or fully non-textual means of communication. Posts which are inoffensive but being flagged as personal attacks. Which, I have noted, seems to happen mostly to women.

In other words, itā€™s not people ignoring you. Itā€™s people actively attacking. If one or two people ignore you, itā€™s not the end of the world on a site with literally thousands of commenters.

11 Likes