"fair and balanced" discussions

Who are you talking to in this putative conversation? Are you sharing your counter-arguments, perspective or opinions with the community or are you insisting that this imaginary poster who has ignored nearly everyone in order to “spout … nonsense”? If it’s the former, what does it matter whether the mass-ignorer sees your comment. If the latter: Nobody owes you their attention! No matter how wrong they are.

16 Likes

See, if the mute feature really did everything he’s claiming it does, this entire conversation wouldn’t be occurring

17 Likes
11 Likes

This is what it’s like being a woman on the Internet. This is what it’s like being a woman in this conversation.

21 Likes

There’s already people who will jump into a thread, make one “The Earth is Flat!!” comment, and not respond to any criticism of their contribution.

That would happen even if the ignore feature was never added. People never have to respond to responses, and if waetherman wants to rebut something for the benefit of the general audience, that option is still always there, even if the original commenter is ignoring everyone.

5 Likes

Some people (not picking on any one user here) feel that animated gif responses by themselves don’t add anything to the discourse. (I disagree with this opinion, by the way.)

14 Likes

Speaking as someone who has studied media and communication, those people are wrong.

19 Likes

16 Likes

i-see-okay

16 Likes

In context, sometimes they’re the bee’s knees, and wittily put, again sometimes.

There’s a reason the phrase bon mot covers the use of even a single well-chosen word, at a well-chosen time.

A poorly-chosen wall of text often does not add anything to the discourse as well, under the same principles of contextual harmonics.

13 Likes

This! I think this comment gets to the real heart of the Ignore feature.

My two cents:
Having watched the Ignore feature be developed and implemented here: As far as I can tell, it’s the Community Guidelines that protect us from other users, while the Ignore feature protects us from ourselves.

To wit: We all have to post within the Community Guidelines. If we think that we won’t be able to see a specific user’s posts without responding in a way that violates the community guidelines and gets us flagged and possibly banned, then we can use the Ignore feature to help keep us on track and in good standing, and live to post another day. It’s not there to allow us to control other users; rather, it’s a help for us to regulate ourselves, if and when we may need the help.

12 Likes

Sure - sometimes the right choice of gif can perfectly capture an emotion, sometimes they don’t add anything to the thread at all. I would argue that written responses are no different.

As long as it’s not against the code of conduct, it’s not really up any of us to police how others choose to express themselves here.

18 Likes

billted

20 Likes

12 Likes
7 Likes

Discourse is setup here so that a user can’t post very short text replies, “This” for example. But an image macro with the word “this” is permitted. I have a vague and perhaps inaccurate memory of an explanation that the minimum post length was to encourage actual discussion.

Besides that the only objection to macros I can immediately think of is one that I mentioned years ago that they result in using up mobile data caps rather quickly. Of course the answer to that is simply to read the BBS from a non mobile device.

1 Like

And a picture is worth a thousand etc.

9 Likes

Nope  

15 Likes

And the classic

18 Likes

Well OK then. Guess that changed. Or maybe my memory was just completely wrong. Happens sometimes.

2 Likes