"Fake" YouTube welding videos denounced

Oh my, I didn’t think those kinds of video were allowed on Youtube…Maybe that’s why they have to fake it

6 Likes

And then there’s the time she talks about the cooking videos from Life Studio aimed at kids with the disturbing narration describing being taken hostage, family abuse or serial killers:

2 Likes

At first I wondered why anyone would bother making fake how-to videos, until I remembered that YouTube is just a more elaborate form of social media, and has the same problems inherent to Twitter or Facebook: lies increase views and “engagement”, which leads to profit, which leads to the lies being promoted and popularized by algorithms overseen by people with no conscience and no concerns beyond squeezing every last possible cent out of the system.

2 Likes

I learned something today: There are welding videos that have gone viral.

Who knew? Well, based on the comments here, a lot of people knew.

I’m quite accustomed to belatedly hearing about viral sensations in entertainment or social media. But welding?

What they are doing is distilling and weaponizing the feeling people get when watching maker content. The joy of seeing the transformation, the steps to completion, the finished product being better than you expected, etc. That set of feelings is the reason the entire maker video genre exists. However, if you can get people to feel something without all the effort of actually making things and filming it, why not (they think)?. Easier profit!

Hence all these fake videos. It’s worth noting that the fake videos do way, way better than the real ones. The fake videos do tens or hundred of millions of views, and the real ones rarely more than one million. If you see a maker video that isn’t Colin Furze do more than, say, 2m, it’s almost certainly fake.

It works because these content farms have figured out how to concentrate that set of feelings I talked about through editing and the illusion of the activity in question. If you don’t have the burden of making a real thing that actually works, you can concentrate the feelings a lot more. That concentration is much more powerful than the real thing- it’s like shooting heroine vs. taking pills.

Mainstream people who don’t generally work with their hands and don’t know a lot about how the built world is constructed are vulnerable to this “hey, neat” and “just so” style of video because they don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It’s a source of constant frustration for those of us making the real thing and trying to educate people about how to build real things in the real world. The fantasy is much more powerful.

8 Likes

You are now synchronized with the hive mind.

Deposit $20 in a shoebox and bury the shoebox in your backyard. One of our underground agent will contact you.

You need to watch This Old Tony.

And mere mortals puzzled and frustrated and ultimately disappointed when they cannot come close to the same result.

I look at videos of people doing this with their highly specialized tools, and I’m in awe.

5 Likes

Seems to me they’ve been circulating a lot less in recent times. I’d like to think maybe people finally caught on?

That video needs to be investigated for the harm it’s doing to the fake milk crate building industry.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.