Famed music producer Steve Albini owns up to his edgelord past in the best way

I personally think it’s a good thing he is doing, addressing the things the wrong people might want to imitate. Admitting that being an asshat when younger was not part of what made you the “genius” people think you were. Sure, it may not seem to be enough, but this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I think the thing to remember is that being considerate to others is what we want to encourage. That is more important than punishing and shaming for past bad behaviour. So no, I’m not going to jump on the “too little, too late” bandwagon.

He did this shit in 2011… He was 50 years old.

If you don’t know it’s inappropriate to use the N word at 50 years old… :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

I mean FFS - there were some perfectly legitimate complaints here (they were late, they were obnoxious, they were harassing the driver and others) - but then having to throw around the N word every other sentence? That’s utter bullshit.

It could also have been a great moment of self-reflection. He and the rest of Big Black were barely out of high school in the punk scene when they started, and I can’t imagine they were any great joy to be around either.

Albini remains very frustrating to me - he’s done a lot of good for the music industry, his no-nonsense attitude toward music production is admirable, has made a lot great albums with his various bands, and he’s clearly an intelligent guy. Then he says racist and ignorant crap like this.

5 Likes

I’m sure he was never a dick to others or kept people waiting or was loud and obnoxious… Sure, Steve. [ETA] Like, he never got to stay in an apartment and then demand that he gets to screw the woman of his choice, say… /s

Also, he’s a perfectly fine producer, but he’s got an outsized ego about it… He’s not the second coming or whatever.

6 Likes

Right? Like I said before he and the rest of Big Black were barely out of high school (much like the people he was “get off my lawn”ing about). I’m sure he and the rest of the band were pretty damn awful to be around. It’s not like the punk scene is known for its shrinking violets.

3 Likes

But once again, this particular incident was when he was 50.

Guy’s just a dick, he’s always been a dick, and he’ll always be a dick, most likely.

I don’t think it’s fair to blame him being a punk, either, as plenty of punks are loud and obnoxious, but aren’t racist, misogynistic assholes. :woman_shrugging: Thinking of folks like Ian MacKaye…

10 Likes

Ahhhh I did not realize that was that was recent. That’s…disappointing.

11 Likes

Maybe enough so to edit the post?

Surely this thread makes it clear that the title is especially off base.

7 Likes

Somebody give Steve Albini a cookie I guess

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 12 hours.

Ah… “I’m so blind to the misogyny around me and so damned insulated from the effects of it that I only contributed to it by accident” says Mr. ‘Fists of Love’.

Also Harvey’s demos were better than Albini’s production IMO. Just sayin…

4 Likes

I’ve still not forgiven him for doing a regular column in the Sun either.

This topic was automatically closed after 19 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.