Steve Albini, legendary Big Black guitarist and Nirvana engineer, is also a poker champion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/steve-albini-legendary-big-bl.html

4 Likes

Leaving The Jesus Lizard off his CV is malpractice.

13 Likes

His poker hat and poker face are epic.

4 Likes

Interesting that someone so famously anti-alcohol, anti-drug, anti-smoking and anti-caffeine is fine with gambling.

2 Likes

Albini also likes to cook, I was looking for some recipes and found this article about Steve Albini and Midyett Rub on Bon Appetit

It’s a dry rub for meat that’s kind of amazing. I’ve been using it on sous vide pork loin and it comes out amazing. Salty, porky crack.

Midyett Rub

INGREDIENTS
2 parts good sea salt
1 part black pepper
1/4-1/2 part sumac
1/3-1/2 part ground coffee
1/4-1/2 part garlic powder
1/4-1/2 part cocoa powder

for pork I use less coffee and cocoa, more for beef

4 Likes

If I played poker, almost anybody could take all my money.

5 Likes

Big Black: SONGS ABOUT BLUFFING

17 Likes

I’m guessing poker probably involves fewer cauliflower ears than water polo, but it is a handsome cover.

1 Like

His poker playing is not as good as Atomizer, so don’t get your hopes up, cheese.

5 Likes

His cooking blog hasn’t been updated for years but it’s great (and hilarious).

2 Likes

At Northwestern University in the early 80s, I witnessed his performance art project, where he erected a plexiglass screen that he stood behind, and anyone could throw literally anything at it. “Anything” included rocks, a baby chick, tubs of yogurt. There were certainly people who really wanted to throw things at him.

4 Likes

Meh, it’s not really gambling in the way that roulette, blackjack and fruit machines are gambling. More a game of skill, especially at that level.

3 Likes

Given how ruthless he was at analysing negotiation tactics by music-label sleazeballs, I’m not surprised to find out he’s good at poker. This is definitely a guy who knows who the sucker at the table is:

https://www.negativland.com/news/?page_id=17

8 Likes

I’m trying to find a clip of a quote from “King Of The Hill” where Hank says something like “why do famous people think we want to watch them play poker?”

We should get together sometime.

8 Likes

They let him sit at the table wearing a rig that could conceal earpieces that relay sound messages from spotters. Christ on a freaking crutch. 20 years ago he would have been ridden out of town on a rail for a cheat.

1 Like

Why would someone wear something like that to conceal an earpiece? Poker players routinely wear headphones at the table, and have for years now.

1 Like

It’s only gambling if you lose :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stylish dresser too!

It’s funny, I know who Steve is as a musician and a recording engineer, but he’s a poker player to me first. He used to post a lot on an online poker forum, that’s where I met him, and I’ve played poker with him a few times in Vegas and many times online. He runs a local “home game” in Chicago (that I’ve never been to) that has had some real talent come out of. Only home game I know of that will have a few WSOP bracelet winners on any given night, especially because they were playing together before they were getting bracelets.

2 Likes

Since he charges reasonable rates for his productionrecording engineering services I guess he’s gotta make money somehow.