Family finds strange, black "walking" fish

[Read the post]

The best way to keep a fish alive is to not catch it and keep it. Not against fishing, just saying duh…

Super cool fish, it would be neat if it turned out to be a new species.

3 Likes

I’m not saying they’re close relatives - I really don’t know a darn thing about fish biology - but I can recommend looking at a gallery of handfish images for fun, and for comparison.

2 Likes

That’s just a baby. They get bigger.

11 Likes

Damn, you beat me to it by like 5 seconds.

9 Likes

Wait. All black fish walking? All they needed to do was play this song and make it the most Metal Fish ever.

They’re not far apart. Handfish and frogfish are both families in the anglerfish order, noted for having the first dorsal spine modified into a lure, but also with weird fins and shapes in general. You also hear a lot about the males fusing onto the females, but really that’s only in some of the deep-sea anglerfish, not ones like these.

4 Likes

Let me know when bananafish shows up. It’s a perfect day for one.

4 Likes

16 Likes

It could be an entirely different species.

2 Likes

@awjt @renke oh you two…you are so silly! :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

3 Likes

12 Likes

That looks like something straight off the pages of Junji Ito’s works.

Fishy, fishy, fishy, fish. Went wherever I did goooo!

3 Likes

The man who found it indicated it was in his bait - meaning he probably bought it along with a good number of other small trash fishes to hook on his lines. Someone else seined it up out of the sea.

ah, didn’t catch that part. thx. it is quite a big bait fish, i wonder how big of a bait fish bucket he bought.

1 Like

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about in this “news”. There are possibly hundreds of different kinds of frogfish, in every possible colour. A lot of them are reef or bottom dwellers that use their leg-like fins to walk along the bottom and dig into the sand.

And what do they taste like?

1 Like

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike chicken?

1 Like