Famous YouTube stars are barely scraping by

Unless of course you are a huge business like the car companies or the cable companies. Then you need to be protected from competition due to ‘too big to fail’

1 Like

boohoo
get a real job, no one owes you anything for your “content”

2 Likes

That’s a good example, the friend working on a cancer cure.

The online world used to be elite, simply because it took effort to get online. Then it became more accessible, and I wondered how that would change people, since some effort was still required, but the monetary cost was much less.

Instead, most people waited, and it requires virtually nothing to get online. But the online world has been remade for them.

I remember 1997 and someone local put up a page for black history month. He had no expectation of fame, we were ignored except in the broadest sense. If he expected a book deal, it was through traditional channels, the webpage only a chance to work out the contents. He was defining the internet by putting up that page. And years later, when he needed a bone marrow transplant, I put something on my webpage and put up posters, just because he was someone I “knew” from online, and because he put up that page of black history.

Now people expect fame. They aren’t creating content, something valuable, because then we’d be reading about that content. Instead, it’s about “likes” or how viral something gets. Old media approval counts too, the online world is no longer a revolutionary place, it mimics society in general.

Old media is collapsing, in part because it’s been dismissed, yet people expect to reproduce it online, the readership, the fame, the money. Sometimes they even expect the money because the real jobs have disappeared, yet not understanding where the money is going instead.

The guy on the side if the road with his mimeographed broadside likely has something way more significant to say than someone trying to be mainstream and measuring success by “likes”.

5 Likes

I think you need to reread. She hasn’t made $340k collectively, i.e. in total, since she’s been doing youtube videos.

8 Likes

This is how a friend of mine who was in the newspaper business felt. He considered journalism a noble calling, doing the public good. But he watched his industry get decimated. His good, full time job got cut down to a crappy part time job until he eventually had to leave the industry.

6 Likes

Right - she hasn’t made $340,000 - but that implies she has made something close to that. At least the way I’m reading it.

I think that she’s saying that if each of her Instagram followers contributed $1, she would have made a lot more money from her Instagram account than she had made in the rest of her life - that’s how I’m reading it.

16 Likes

Let me “like” that comment!

2 Likes

I think the 340,000 number relates to the number of Instagram followers…maybe she can earn some $ with product placement on Instagram?

I find the “I’ve never had more than a couple thousand dollars in my bank account at once” statement much rollier on the eye-roll scale, given that she’s 27 years old. Plenty of 27 year old people in North America who haven’t had more than a couple hundred dollars in their bank accounts at once–if that much!

7 Likes

Wow, you made a new account just to say that? Can’t say I’m looking forward to your further contributions.

Anyway . . . WELCOME TO BOING BOING!!

29 Likes

Or, another way to model the situation: If you think you need money to survive, then you are being extorted. It is not naturally true, so if people choose to make it true for you, this is a deliberate threat.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. Living in a capitalistic society – one that none of us will ever change no matter how many good ideas we might have – we do need money to survive. That is the truth of living within capitalism. This system may be corrupt, but essentially this is what we have. I might as well shake my fist at the sky and complain about it being blue if I wanted to complain about how things ought to be.

5 Likes

They, in fact, have a Patreon that probably could be managed better. With their goals so low and not pushing it they don’t have many backers.

I mean this channel for example has this Patreon because the lower number of fans are willing to support the content and pay for it. While Just Between Us has a much smaller amount of backers.

The money is definitely out there for entertainment, but considering one group of 30-somethings in Springfield, Il is making a living off internet videos by attending conventions and getting their fans to support them the money is out there.

YouTube red also pays content based on the members that watch their videos, along with paying more for spending more time viewing content rewarding long-form content. It’s yet another thing to encourage your fans to do to try and make a living doing this.

5 Likes

I think you just stumbled upon the ritual that makes you an official member of the @popobawa4u Club!

13 Likes

Show biz is HARD. Really, really hard.

Try something else if it isn’t working out for you, maybe?

3 Likes

Oh, it is one of those kinds of people. I thought I’d seen the name long enough that it was someone that might be taken seriously.

People have a real knack for assuming things about me which are not only a little off, but about as far off as they can get. I find it hard to believe that this is not deliberate.[quote=“clifyt, post:32, topic:70681”]
This system may be corrupt, but essentially this is what we have.
[/quote]

You “have” whatever systems you implement. It’s not about “good ideas”, it’s about what people do in daily life, interacting with others. If you accept “living in a capitalistic society” as an acceptable tradeoff, then that is a choice. Some might say that doing something you know doesn’t work because you feel expected to is more idealistic than practical.

Most of the “criticism” I read is simply people’s desperation and fear that if they try something better/different/untested, they might >gasp< fail. Big whoop! That’s a worthwhile risk to some people, compared to handing your world on a platter to some sociopaths.

ok. I am trying to understand her pain here…I am trying to be sympathetic. NOPE CAN’T! Because I have worked in Corporate America for the last 20 years, and served my country for 10 years. No one wants my autograph, no one ever invited me to a red carpet…and I have had plenty of days were I wasn’t sure how I would buy groceries. So what it sounds like she is going through in my mind is WELCOME TO THE FREAKING REAL WORLD. You know…for all of us who are not the 1%er jackwagons who never worry about a thing in life…who’s lives are one unbroken boulevard of green lights.

I feel her pain in the struggle of getting by, though I would add maybe she should add having three kids to also support and raise. Instead of red carpet invites people like me have to bust our ass to maybe get a 2-3% raise each year which doesn’t cover the inflation, plus have zero social life given we have to play taxi for Football, Soccer, Gymnastics, Figure skating, birthday parties here there everywhere, sleep overs, costume parties, etc etc etc.

It sounds like she is just going through life as the rest of us menial 99%ers with an occasional touch of fame and popularity. I want to empathize. I just can’t.

8 Likes

Are you certain about that? Surely I’m not mistaken in remembering a recent discussion, in which you asserted that the sky only appears blue to those who have yet to free themselves from arbitrary social injunctions that seek unthinking submission to the coercive concept of “color”?

12 Likes

As I tell anyone who claims to be universally misunderstood: You are, in large part, responsible for your ability to communicate your ideas.

10 Likes